Rat Clones, and Turbo Rat clones, etc. Geeking out.

@Help!I'maRock! From your new pedalboard thread. Wanted to geek out some more on Rat clones and options. But didn't want to overrun your thread with it.
I think the Turbo is maligned because people think it's more distortion. It isn't. It's more boost. And it sounds good at low volumes too.
Yeah, I got this pedal (BYOC Rat clone based, with mods, called the Rabid Rodent) without knowing much about the technical stuff, just that I really liked the demo, and trusted robert Renman and the builder). I did not know that the red LED could have been called Turbo, or I may have been initially put off (until I heard it). As it was, with no real preconceptions, I was originally drawn to the Red LED setting, over the other clipping settings. From the description of it:

Expanding upon the capabilities of the original Mouse kit, the new version now offers a total of 6 distortion and overdrive modes. The three distortion flavors all use the Rat's clipping stage configuration, but vary in the components use to actually clip the signal. In addition to the stock Rat's silicon diode pair, the v.2.0 Mouse adds two more--a pair of red LED's and an asymmetric silicon diode array. But the pedal doesn't stop there, adding a second clipping circuit in the feedback loop of the opamp, a method used in the Tube Screamer pedals and their many derivatives and imitators. Symmetric and asymmetric silicon diode arrays and a pair of MOSFETs provide the signal modification here, for a more subtle degree of distortion, a.k.a. "overdrive". This gives a total of six different distortion modes, selectable via a 6-way rotary switch.

Never one to leave well enough alone though, I decided to make a few changes. First, with four of the available stock clipping modes based upon silicon diode combinations, I opted for a little more variety. So I substituted a pair of red LED's for the asymmetic silicons on the distortion circuit, and replaced the symmetric silicon diodes with a pair of J01 JFETs on the overdrive portion of the circuit. This widens the variety of tones available and gives a choice of silicon diode, LED and FET signal clipping on both sides of the 6-way switch. I also installed a switch to activate a gain reduction/EQ flattening modification called the "Ruetz mod", after the guy who invented it. This gives another whole set of six different sounds, doubling the pedals tonal capabilities.

Most of that above is technical stuff I barely understand. But I know it makes sounds I like. As I said, I really like second setting, which is the first of the red LED settings. I also favor the LED setting on the overdrive side, playing it set low, and using it as a lead boost. I like it better than either of my tubescreameresque pedals. I never use the Reutz thing. I just haven't found sounds I like there.

So, tell me more about your GGG one?

The GGG clone is just that. It's an original RAT circuit using the right chip and all that. This was the pedal when I got it:

a1.jpg

The first time I sent it back, Pal added a switch to go between Turbo and Silicon modes. When I got it back, we tested it on an oscilloscope, and the difference between the two was the Silicon had half the volume and twice the gain; while the Turbo mode had twice the volume and half the gain. But the LEDs clip harder so it still feels like more gain than it is.

snakeeye.jpg

The second time I sent it back to Pal, it became a Turbo RAT and an asymmetrical RAT. Now the Alligator nose lights up.

10603559_743485629049836_2907119643044413891_n.jpg

I find the asymmetrical clipping harsher than the Turbo. So it sounds good at home, at low volumes. But I'm not a fan at high volumes, and switch back to regular Turbo mode.

Last edited:
Cool. I like your graphics. This is what mine looks like. The distortion options are the three positions on the left of the dial, the less distortion/overdrive options are on the right.
RRv2_top.jpg
RRv2_gut.jpg

I like the regular Rat. I've had a few clones with switches that did different clipping but I always ended up with the regular Rat. It may be that my only pedal for 15 years was a Rat so that is what I like.

I like my regular rat setting too. It is nice to have the option for different sounds.

I like limiting my options. :grin:
I like finding a pedal that gives me the one sound I need and once I find it, I leave the pedal alone. I guess that's why I have a ton of pedals.

So I am ordering a Rat2 or TurboRat from my local music shop.
Halp my choose between the two

I am just looking for a classic 70's distortion sound.
I play through a SCXD and don't want to adjust the settings when I get into playing certain songs.

Gonna start looking at demos online now.

So I am ordering a Rat2 or TurboRat from my local music shop.
Halp my choose between the two

I am just looking for a classic 70's distortion sound.
I play through a SCXD and don't want to adjust the settings when I get into playing certain songs.

Gonna start looking at demos online now.
It's all preference. Go play both of them and take home the one you like.

Dang it...I gotta finish up my GGG Rat Clone. It is always the graphics is where I get stalled.

I see a Rat Clone and I want to paint it black. :wink:

Black De-Rusto. 10 minutes. done. Maybe label with some silver sharpie. Time to play! :grin:

Hahahahahahhaha...mine is white with a graphic that I still have to lay down on it. Besides I already have an 80's White Face but building stuff is kind of a hobby for me as well.

Back