Rare Gary Blanchard Footage

Gary Blanchard

beloved, local musician
Thanks to James Franciscus, I was reminded of the fact that I have video footage of my 1980's group The Generic Arts Ensemble. I am starting to put together some short clips that I will share here. The opening clip is one of my "hits" of the day, Pink Flamingos. Though many thought it was inspired by the John Waters film, it was actually inspired by a line from Laurie Anderson's Talk Normal. The second keyboard is played by Cynthia Gaver, and the dancer is Joan Mosca.

In the 80's, I had a purple tie with Pegasus figures on it; a friend saw it and said, "That is polyester from Hell", and thus a song was born. Tio Pepes was an upscale Baltimore restaurant at the time that had a dress code of jacket and tie, no jeans. I would watch folks enter wearing some the most awful plaid polyester pants; those passed the dress code, it seems. :facepalm:

This song was a favorite of the local media and was most mentioned in articles and press releases.

I listened, and the texts and tunes are great. With some more musicians and a bigger budget it would have been awesome.

I find your lack of banjo...

Disturbing. :embarrassed:

:grin:

Yes, I got a strong Laurie Anderson vibe, especially with "Polyester From Hell". 8)

You could get the band back together, with a new name: "Geriatric Arts Ensemble ". :rolleyes: :baimun:

While I never was a fan of that type of music I have huge respect for you following a dream and going where your art was taking you at the time. Fantastic Gary.

quote-Salvador-Dali-i-dont-do-drugs-i-am-drugs-91702.png

That is perhaps the single most 80s thing I have ever seen. All that's missing is a keytar!!!

Oh, and re: Jean Mosca - would!

That is perhaps the single most 80s thing I have ever seen. All that's missing is a keytar!!!

Oh, and re: Jean Mosca - would!
She and I dated a bit, but the relationship never went anywhere. Oh well, better things were waiting for me.

Back