Quick Review: Fender Pawn Shop Mustang Special

Help!I'maRock!

Mediocringly Derivative
A student brought one in today, new Christmas present. I think he's sleeping with it. Anyway, it's kind of an odd duck. A hardtail Mustang with two humbuckers, a three way, and coil split switches that allow you to choose which coil to split to. The thing that most confused me about the guitar was if I was on the neck pickup only, and switched the bridge pup to one of the single coil options, it started to hum. So there's some funky wiring going on somewhere that I'm certain can be corrected with a little time. But overall it's a super versatile instrument with a good sound out of the box, especially clean. And they look awesome.

Now i just have to show him how to properly string the split-shaft tuners.

I gave one a test drive a few months ago and if I were going to be gigging again, I would buy one. I like the short scale and you can get so many different tones from it. I played it through a Vox AC15 for probably an hour at a GC. I am sure they loved me after that.

is the Mustang really an offset?

0266400302_frt_wmd_001.jpg

wouldn't that make the Strat an offset too?

Last edited:
I like the looks of those. If my son gets back into guitar, I bet he would really like it. He likes the offsets.

I noticed one of those in a shop a while back. They are very sharp looking guitars. There were a bunch of cool guitars there but I ended up taking a snapshot of the Mustang.

photobucket-19136-1324083517243.jpg

I like the looks of those - but I truly hate the location of the two black switches. I would be hitting them all the time.

I like the looks of those - but I truly hate the location of the two black switches. I would be hitting them all the time.

you don't even notice them. they're nowhere near in the way. not exactly convenient for on the fly switching, but definitely not in the way.

and if they are, then i highly recommend hiring Mark Wein to help you with your picking technique. :tongue:

you don't even notice them. they're nowhere near in the way. not exactly convenient for on the fly switching, but definitely not in the way.

and if they are, then i highly recommend hiring Mark Wein to help you with your picking technique. :tongue:

Even I don't have a problem with the switch location, as they are low, and far out of range of my pick...

I wanna thank Howie for this thread. I went to eBay and browsed for one of these. I put in an offer and the seller accepted it. Now it's off to sell some stuff so the wife doesn't kill me.

I wanna thank Howie for this thread. I went to eBay and browsed for one of these. I put in an offer and the seller accepted it. Now it's off to sell some stuff so the wife doesn't kill me.

Well played
image011.gif

Back