question re: value of non-working Silverface Bandmaster Reverb

Guitar Heel

Demented Trick
As the title suggests, I've got a couple late 60's/early 70's Fender Bandmasters that haven't worked in a while. Both amps sounded great before they went out. Years ago, I started to hear static in each, and then there was nothing. They've just been sitting here since, and my research at the time led me to believe that it was most likely the transformer. Guessing that the electrical supply in my guitar room at the time was wonky, but I know nothing about this stuff.

Anyway, I just sold a ton of gear, and I'm going to sell quite a bit more. I'd like to pass at least one of these along to someone that could fix it up, but I don't want to give it away. On one, the exterior is, admittedly, also in bad shape. The other was "blackfaced,' and I'm not sure what that actually means by way of specific modifications. Aesthetically, it looks great.

I have a couple questions to that end.

First, what do you guys think each might be worth as-is, as a project?

Second, let's assume that the problem is the transformer. How much do you think that might cost to repair, including parts and labor? Would it be a better idea to pay to fix it, and then sell it in working condition, or should I just cut and run?

Thanks!

I have no idea. There is that amp repair guy I used in Annandale that is pretty good and reasonably priced. If you decide to take it to get fixed first, let me know and I'll send you his info.

I have no idea. There is that amp repair guy I used in Annandale that is pretty good and reasonably priced. If you decide to take it to get fixed first, let me know and I'll send you his info.
If you wouldn't mind PM'ing me, that'd be great.

I buy broken amps, and I don't pay much for them and I suspect most people who do the same don't either.

Here's my perspective: it's probably something simple, and I can fix it cheap. As telecaster911 says, it's probably filter caps, which I can replace myself for about $30. Maybe it's just a blown tube (which sometimes takes other components with it, sometimes not) - also relatively inexpensive to fix.

If it's more than that, like screen resistors, or any other blown circuit components, it's still pretty cheap to fix (parts wise). If it's a transformer (and it's likely not, but if it is), then we're getting into some money, especially for a good one and in all likelihood *I* would just scrap the project and sell off what I could to recoup my hopefully small investment.

If you want to recoup the most you can from it, get it fixed and sell it as a working unit. Might be worth it to spend $50 for an amp tech to look it over.

So with that out of the way, if you want to let it go cheap, I'm interested.

i agree with the "pay a few bucks and have someone look at it" approach.
if it's a reasonably cheap fix, do it. no one is going to give you any kind of money for an amp that does not even make sound, specifically because it could be a tranny. changing the tranny changes the sound and no one wants t0 do that with a vintage amp.

Last edited:
First, what do you guys think each might be worth as-is, as a project?

Without a diagnosis, most "in the know" won't pay more than $100 for it. The phrase, "I think it's..." is a booby-trap. Dead amps are far better to diagnose than intermittent issues...but it could also be hiding any previously intermittent issues Some amps repair easily, others are rabbit holes. However, there are plenty of amateurs, unsuspecting of the pitfalls, who might see it as a fun project (negating cost) or artificially cheap way of getting an old Fender...I expect one of those may pay $200.

A replaced transformer would lower value, but the BMR aren't collector's pieces, despite rising prices, they are player amps. Poor cosmetics already hurt it's resale.
Second, let's assume that the problem is the transformer. How much do you think that might cost to repair, including parts and labor? Would it be a better idea to pay to fix it, and then sell it in working condition, or should I just cut and run?
  • Power transformer = $106+shipping+at least one hour bench time ($70?) = ~$200
  • Output transformer = $50+shipping+one hour bench fee ($70?)= $150
  • If the filter caps are old...add another $150 for those parts and labor
This is why the "broken" offer averages $100+$200=$300 invested in a am with replaced parts (and in this case poor cosmetics, per OP)...any further issues eat into an profit margin. But it is always easier to sell a working amp.

I have a '66 Super Reverb chassis sitting here I'll probably never be able to turn a profit on and I haven't even repaired it yet (it has...gasp...intermittent issues). I bought it to build my own amp out of...but ran out of capital and time.

@wagdog's advice is solid. Spend the money for a diagnoses...screen resistors, tubes, and filter caps are all more likely than a dead transformer.

Last edited:
The guy I use is also just off the beltway.

Are they the SAME PERSON?!?!?

Nope.

I grew up going to Annandale...Three Chefs for breakfast, Shakey's Pizza for birthday parties, toys from Juvenile Toys. And these days I still go for a great bowl of Soon Tofu soup or to gas up on the cheap (as of this post, regular is currently $1.899 in Annandale)...hell, I even shopped at the Kmart in the past year.

But I never have and never will live in Annandale. I haven't done any commercial repair work since moving back from L.A. (I miss L.A....and hate No. Va.).

But I'm close. @Chad would probably drive right past me to get to Annandale.

Last edited:
Nope.

I grew up going to Annandale...Three Chefs for breakfast, Shakey's Pizza for birthday parties, toys from Juvenile Toys. And these days I still go for a great bowl of Soon Tofu soup or to gas up on the cheap (as of this post, regular is currently $1.899 in Annandale)...hell, I even shopped at the Kmart in the past year.

But I never have and never will live in Annandale. I haven't done any commercial repair work since moving back from L.A. (I miss L.A....and hate No. Va.).

After I looked him up he's actually in Falls Church where the beltway hits 50

William and Mary won't do...

Back