Question about running a distortion pedal into the return of an amp

mystixboi1

Kick Henry Jackassowski
If I run a distortion pedal into the return of an effects loop, can I also use a delay after the distortion in the loop? Or not at all?

Do not run a distortion pedal in your loop. It will sound terrible. Yes, you can use delay in the loop, regardless of what else is in there.

Yeah, I'd put the distortion in front of the amp, not in the loop. Although it'd be interesting to see what it sounds like.

The exception is running a modeler into the power amp in, bypassing the entire preamp section. At that point you just have a completely clean power amp.

What they're saying above is don't put a fuzz pedal after the send and before the return.

I remember the first amp I got with an fx loop. I had no idea what it was for, and the only effect I had was a distortion pedal so I put in in the and it sounded horrible. I have never used a loop since. I think that was back in the late 80s.

If I run a distortion pedal into the return of an effects loop, can I also use a delay after the distortion in the loop? Or not at all?

Rule of thumb is delay should always go after dirt, be that preamp or pedal based dirt.

The exception is running a modeler into the power amp in, bypassing the entire preamp section. At that point you just have a completely clean power amp.

What they're saying above is don't put a fuzz pedal after the send and before the return.

What Baimun said, except it could be anything that is a preamp, not just a modeller. Rack units like a Marshall JMP-1 or an ADA-MP1 would be good examples and there appear to be several pedal format preamps out there as well.

What Baimun said, except it could be anything that is a preamp, not just a modeller. Rack units like a Marshall JMP-1 or an ADA-MP1 would be good examples and there appear to be several pedal format preamps out there as well.

Another example: I run a Boss GT-8 into the return on my Classic 30. It sounds fantastic.

Back