Putting your money where your mouth is.

The link you had to JustNick's post spells it out pretty well. There are principles of electricity that simply don't change just because the price and marketing hyperbole went up.

My opinion is the better pickup makers invest in design, prototyping, and some better materials. Some just have good ears and an understanding of how the different elements create certain sounds. Honestly, I'm ok with paying for some of that.

But there's also a lot of pure BS.

If I were making major gear purchases today, I would probably buy very different equipment than what I bought 10 years ago. I think the proof of that is the bass rig I put together this past year. Sans pedals, my entire rig cost $1200. If I were buying 10 years ago, when I bought the majority of my guitar equipment, that number probably would have doubled. Products are better now, prices are better now, buying websites are more familiar now. I'm just glad I'm out of that "rat race" and comfortable with what I have.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410060854.037198.jpg

Good on Landau for his offers.
Very cool.

I'm not sure I understand his connection to the whole mess and why he would feel the need to step up AND to distance himself from Vertex.

I'm not a regular on TGP. So, it's likely that I'm missing something that makes the connection.

Very cool.

I'm not sure I understand his connection to the whole mess and why he would feel the need to step up AND to distance himself from Vertex.

I'm not a regular on TGP. So, it's likely that I'm missing something that makes the connection.
They had signature Mike. Landau products. If his name was on them and that inspired people to buy with Vertex based on his name or association he wants to make up for that and preserve his "brand integrity". A very stand up thing to do.

They had signature Mike. Landau products. If his name was on them and that inspired people to buy with Vertex based on his name or association he wants to make up for that and preserve his "brand integrity". A very stand up thing to do.

Ah. That makes sense now.

Thanks.

So what does "gooping" mean?
It means covering the components inside the pedal with black or other dart epoxy so that people can't tell what parts you are using. I think Dumble started it but pedal guys seem to do it to hide their misdeeds these days.

It means covering the components inside the pedal with black or other dart epoxy so that people can't tell what parts you are using. I think Dumble started it but pedal guys seem to do it to hide their misdeeds these days.
Thanks! Do legit pedal people do this as well to keep trade secrets?

Thanks! Do legit pedal people do this as well to keep trade secrets?

A lot of builders did it in the 90s and 00s, but all those secrets are out. Anyone doing it now is late to the party and in a very different environment. But this is a bit different because it's not that he rebuilt a common circuit. It's that he rebadged their boards and enclosures.

Makes me wonder who the fools on Feebay will buy the Landau boost with his name on it. Add to it that Landau won't endorse any pedals anymore. So begins the rapid shuffle of gear changes to come for Landau.

A lot of builders did it in the 90s and 00s, but all those secrets are out. Anyone doing it now is late to the party and in a very different environment. But this is a bit different because it's not that he rebuilt a common circuit. It's that he rebadged their boards and enclosures.
Got it. That being the case, surprised he thought he could get away with it.

Interesting reading over on TGP.

I was following the original couple of threads about this on TGP.

With balls that big, how does Mason find pants?

Back