Putting together a mongrel kit

Pine Apple Slim

Kick Henry Jackassowski
For music room/studio building under construction. It's been 15 yrs since I owned a full kit. I still have a few pieces but the rest got away over several moves, abandoned at friends places, etc. Since I really had nowhere to set up a full kit. But I got on eBay and ordered what was missing, mostly a bass drum and toms.

Here's what I've got-
80s Yamaha DP series bass drum , 12" & 13" toms. Beginner level Luan drums but in good condition, will have to replace some heads. Also picked up a 10" Rodgers Tom and an old Yamaha triple Tom holder.

My old "leftover" pieces:
(I had 2 snares and 2 HH because I play lefty and I had the extras for the righties.)
16" Pearl Export floor Tom
60s Gretsch snare, in rough shape but I love it's sound.
Metal Pearl export snare
Assorted stands, Pearl and Tama
Tama chain drive bass pedal, I lost the old Pearl belt drve one:sad:
Avanti 14" hats that came with the Pearl set.
2 crashes of unknown make that came with the Pearl set
Zilzian 14" hats and 20" ride, not top of the line but decent.
Old drum throne I found at a yard sale.

I'm missing a few things, a few lug rods on the floor Tom, a thumbscrew on one of the Toms.
I'll need to replace most if not all the batter heads.

The nice thing is all the drums are black except the snares, so they will all kinda match.

When my building is complete around Thanksgiving hopefully I'll get it all set up and tuned and post pics.

I'll prob be back for head rec and tuning advice.
I'll want to choose heads that will reduce rings and overtones on these cheap drums. I'm thinking pinstripes on the toms.
For a snare batters, I want something heavy to reduce ring but I love brushes so they have to be coated.

I really looking forward to getting back into drumming.

Sounds like the start of a cool kit. I bet that Gretsch snare is killer. New heads will go a long way into making that kit sound good. I would definitely go with pinstripes for the toms. For the snare, I would stick with Emporer coated top and Ambassador clear bottom. You can always add dampening after the fact. I tend to go for Evans kick batters.

I've really been into experimenting with drum recording lately, using different combinations of drums, mics, and spaces. I've got a project lined up that we're going to track in a big old factory building. I have a few different kits and a bunch of snares and cymbals to choose from.

Nice that everything is black.

Pinstripes on the toms are good, and I also like the Evans EC2 heads on my toms. Since you're looking into controling the overtones, you might consider the Evans Genera HD Dry head on your snare. I definitely like speakerjones' suggestion of the Evans kick batter, and I would recommend the one I use - Evans EMAD 2. Just something to think about while you're getting set up.

Back