Question: PRS pickups muddy?

cvogue

Yes, that's Oolong. :)
So... an extension of my thread regarding the scratches I stupidly put on my shiny Dragon 2 neck pickup... jp_nyc floated the idea of replacing the pickup.

I've actually considered replacing the pickups. I moved from the stock HFS/VB combo in my CE24 to the Dragon 2's for a more vintage tone. I succeeded but the tone also seems muddy yet "plinky" to my ears (when clean). With distortion they don't get the edgy tone I'd like without EQing the heck out of them in the loop.

So, thinking about a pickup swap. I'd like to stick with PRS but don't have to. Couple of questions:

1. If you're familiar with PRS pickups, especially the Dragon 2's, do you find them muddy?
2. Which PRS pickup would you suggest for a PAF/'59 type of sound. I know they make a 57/08 and a 59/09 model which might get me close.... any opinions on these?
3. Are there footprint/size issues when putting non PRS pickups in a PRS guitar?

Thanks!

I'm not familiar with PRS pickups but I have a Les Paul copy that had a muddy pickup issue and I put Stat caps in it and it fixed it.

Baimun is probably the expert here on PRS pickups. So many pro players use them though, I can't imagine them being muddy.

I'm not a fan of the Dragon II's... yes I find them muddy as well.

On my CE that had Dragon II's I put a Duncan JB in the bridge and a 59 in the neck. Classic combo that works for 99% of the guitars out there. On my Rosewood neck'd Custom, I put 57/08's from a Modern Eagle II and they're spectacular. Spendy but very nice.

Back