PRS making Strats

I don't think I've every played one. When they came out, they seemed like a guitar that no one was asking for.
Perhaps it's time for history to repeat itself.
My thoughts as well. I don't remember anyone mentioning them until they went on clearance at MF.
The body does look more Stratty this time around. But I still have to ask, other than Mayer's endorsement, what has changed?

Here's the guitar that it likely is, albeit with a different pickguard and other specifics...

IMG_5860__02707.1461089348.480.330.jpg

These were cool guitars from everything I read and heard, but PRS fans didn't want buy enough to keep them in production. And, as has been stated, I think it was a difficult and unnecessary undertaking to add a contestant to the flooded strat/super-strat market or try to lure Fender-style devotees to PRS by making a Fender-centric PRS. The (early alder) CEs, EGs, and Swamp Ash Specials did a good to great job getting more Fendery tones in a PRS package.

That said, this is about Paul keeping a PRS in John's hands, so they'll make him a guitar or 20 to not have him drop a PRS for a Fender.

PRS has made a couple strats over the years....the EG...the 305...the NF3...I wonder what's different about this one? Personally, I prefer PRS's original designs - as I think their sales have proved out over the years, as none of the strat types seem to have lasted long. My vote? Leave strats to Fender, continue to make the most excellent PRS designs.

Here's the guitar that it likely is, albeit with a different pickguard and other specifics...

IMG_5860__02707.1461089348.480.330.jpg

I owned one of these and liked it quite well.... but there are some noticeable differences in the Mayer PRS. The body is bigger. Big enough to accomodate a top jack while still allowing the pickguard to flow with more strat type lines.

Also the pickups look a bit more standard. Those changes along with the standard PRS trem and locking tuners are quite an attractive combination to me. If they can price it under 2K then they'll have a winner.

I owned one of these and liked it quite well.... but there are some noticeable differences in the Mayer PRS. The body is bigger. Big enough to accomodate a top jack while still allowing the pickguard to flow with more strat type lines.

Also the pickups look a bit more standard. Those changes along with the standard PRS trem and locking tuners are quite an attractive combination to me. If they can price it under 2K then they'll have a winner.

I was just referring to the platform, knowing the guard would have been reshaped for the output jack and to hug the lines more on the lower cutaway. John's is even a bit more square like a Fender (with a flatter butt), but these are real quick CNC tweaks to the aforementioned guitar. So poor wording on my part...it's more that this guitar would have likely been the starting point of making a full blown PRStrat for Mr. Mayer.

If it's too Stratty, they'll have a lawsuit. These may be for John only...again to keep a PRS in his hands. Albeit one that sounds, plays, and looks like a Fender Stratocaster.

If it's too Stratty, they'll have a lawsuit. These may be for John only...again to keep a PRS in his hands. Albeit one that sounds, plays, and looks like a Fender Stratocaster.
Only if it infringes on Fender's headstock, which this one clearly doesn't. Fender whiffed decades ago on trademark enforcement.

Lots of clips from the show where the PRStrat was spotted...at least two Fender Strats and one ES-345 to do Johnny B Goode. So, the PRStrat may just be a one off or a model that they're working on with sights on replacing his Fenders. Either way, John's still using whatever guitar he wants, with a clear preference for Strats when it comes to his material.

Regardless, despite his preference for Strats, I'm not a fan of PRS moving away from original designs. As has been mentioned, the original PRSes were basically LP Special DC bodies...not unlike the Hamer Sunburst, but baring that one model, Paul has since stuck to original profiles and unique takes on classic configurations. PRS certtainly doesn't need to make an exact Strat-clone and I'd prefer if they didn't. That said, there's probably a decent chunk of money to be made and guitar makers are rarely against that proposition.

Lastly, I'm not and won't be in the market for one, so it's mainly not relevant for me.

Last edited:
As has been mentioned, the original PRSes were basically LP Special DC bodies...not unlike the Hamer Sunburst, but baring that one model, Paul has since stuck to original profiles and unique takes on classic configurations.
the standard PRS double cut shape was achieved by Paul literally tracing an old LP Special doublecut, and a Strat, and drawing the line between the two. So, in that regard, even his original design was heavily influenced by classic guitars.

I was a little weirded out when I saw the first PRS singlecut, but now I'm used to that shape, and even prefer it. I also really liked the DC3 (and owned one), and would do so again. That said, I can't see PRS putting out a straight-up Strat clone anytime soon.

the standard PRS double cut shape was achieved by Paul literally tracing an old LP Special doublecut, and a Strat, and drawing the line between the two. So, in that regard, even his original design was heavily influenced by classic guitars.

I was a little weirded out when I saw the first PRS singlecut, but now I'm used to that shape, and even prefer it. I also really liked the DC3 (and owned one), and would do so again. That said, I can't see PRS putting out a straight-up Strat clone anytime soon.

Yes, I'm aware of this, but it's not mistaken for either design or other guitars. It has in itself become a design that others have heavily copied. The Tele is basically a Dreadnaught profile compacted and with a deep cutaway. The Les Paul is similar with a hollowbody Gibson as the "larger" template. The Strat was the guitar version of Leo's own Precision Bass. And the list goes on and on. Complete originality is rare, but uniqueness is not..or can at least be achieved even when using benchmarks as guides (Godin, Reverend, et. al. are modern examples, while Yamaha, Ibanez, and Aria were forced towards these ends after the lawsuit era).

I hear you though and especially agree regarding the PRS Single Cut...I prefer it to the LP, especially the original Single Cut Trem. Another great guitar that got away before I could get one. I also hope you're right about the PRStrat, even if it's branded the "John Mayer Model".

Mayer was back to his Fender last night on Kimmel. PRS amps were well represented tho.
Most definitely and you can pick up the Mayer model PRS amp for $5,990. Sorry, that's just for the amp head.

Last edited:
Back