Project Arcturus *aka- name TBD*

dougk

b00b
Working on something new for NAMM 2015. Some of you may have seen this on Instagram. This actually started out from a conversation at our Open House with someone wondering when I was going to build a Strat. Now maybe it's because I played Strat's the first 15 years of my guitar playing life... but I just didn't really want too.

But then I got thinking about it and thought why not. Could be fun. At first I started trying to redesign a Strat thats not a Strat. Well that didn't work, then I decided why not just make a Daylighter-caster.

156292664.jpg

Started with a little CAD
156292663.jpg

156292665.jpg

And that's where I ended up.

Now the CNC's been DOA for the last 4 weeks but finally got our spindle back from being rebuilt and up and running this morning. Decided to hope for the best and run a pair of the new model (name TBD) first

156292666.jpg

156292667.jpg

156292668.jpg

As you can see, it ges a bathtub rout. The production version of this will be in Alder standard (Spanish Cedar as an option). My hope is, to keep the options limited down to mostly just pickup choices only. Can build them in a bit higher volume with less than a 6 month wait time.

So- time to rapid prototype these. I have a couple artists of ours who are coming thru town very soon that might be perfect fit for these. We'll see if it can happen.

More to come :grin:

Last edited:
Beauty...

If I were to make a change to the design I would reduce the amount of space between the bridge and the tail (rear strap button) and make the horns a bit more pronounced... that would give it a bit more balanced look...

Looks pretty cool.munch0

Needs a trem of some type, and I'm not sure about H-S-H. What are the switching options?

Looks pretty cool.munch0

Needs a trem of some type, and I'm not sure about H-S-H. What are the switching options?

Doesn't haven't to be H-S-H. The point of the swinging pool rout is you can get anything you'd like. Honestly, I'd love to try a Mini-S-S. I think that could be loads of fun.

It'll be available with either a strat trem or a tele half bridge. That's about the only body option. The rest is what pickups in what spots you'd want.

Doesn't haven't to be H-S-H. The point of the swinging pool rout is you can get anything you'd like. Honestly, I'd love to try a Mini-S-S. I think that could be loads of fun.

It'll be available with either a strat trem or a tele half bridge. That's about the only body option. The rest is what pickups in what spots you'd want.

what if i want four Dimarzio X2Ns in different fluorescent colors?

Back