Progs best band is back with a new song :)

that was pretty dire. Do you like Enslaved, Jbird? the whole viking-y + prog-ish thing seems like it would be right up your alley

I've tried to like them. I just can't get into it, for whatever reason. I don't hate 'em though.

Probably because they are actuslly good and not cheesy :tongue:
I think it's more the black metal influences. I'm not a fan of black metal, for the most part. I love me some good melo-death metal, but just can't get into black metal

@Jbird - Have you ever gotten much into Sabaton? My oldest son really likes them and the stuff I heard sounds pretty good and a bit up your alley.

I'm so out of it... Never even heard of any of these bands.

You might as well say "Have you heard of Cthulu's Cream of Wheat... They're epic!!" :shrug:

You might as well say "Have you heard of Cthulu's Cream of Wheat... They're epic!!" :shrug:

4920926.jpg

@Jbird - Have you ever gotten much into Sabaton? My oldest son really likes them and the stuff I heard sounds pretty good and a bit up your alley.

I've seen them live 3 times so far. They are an excellent live band, put on a great show.

Album-wise, I think there is a bit of same-ness to some of the music, and they are almost too bombastic. But I think that's the vibe they are going for, kinda letting you know that while they ARE interested in the topic at hand (military history, genuine war heroes), they also don't take it too seriously.

They certainly scored an excellent guitarist when Chris Rorland decided to stick with Sabaton instead of joining Nocturnal Rites. He was slated to replace Nils Norberg in Nocturnal Rites after Norberg quit the music business altogether, joined Sabaton to help them finish a tour, and then decided to stay.

Well, Haken (rhymes with bacon) IS a pretty new band. Their debut album came out in 2010. So far, their music is very highly regarded in the prog community, regardless of what wok & Kerouac say about it :tongue: Aquarius (2010), Visions (2011), The Mountain (2013), and the e.p. Restoration (2014), along with this new album slated for release in about a month.

Their new video is pretty cool, and fairly non-heavy. They tried going for an '80s vibe on much of the album (not all of it, however) while still retaining their own sound. There is even a song called '1985' that is very '80-ish to start out with.

...and I love the little Djent breakdown in The Endless Knot at roughly 2:20 - 2:40

Hakens forays into Djent, along with the unique vocals are a reason some people call them Djentle Djiant :tongue:

Vid in the OP was not what I expected based on all the vitriol in this thread. The song was decent and I enjoyed it. Thanks for putting it up.

@Jbird - my local college radio station, I like 'em a lot. While my favorites might not be yours, I was thinking you would like Werner's "Cross Continents" Fridays 9-12 a.m.and "Ear Responsible Radio" with John on Sunday morning (The 2 modern prog shows) You can stream them live. I've heard Haken on there already. They seem to be pretty high on Fallujah lately, but I get Spock's Beard, Orb, and a bunch of stuff I can't remember but wish I could.

http://www.wlvr.org/schedule/

Hope you like.

I'll see if I can check some of that out, though I'm usually sleeping in the mornings on those 2 days. ^^

Back