Preview track from Frisell's new record.

Love Bill, his playing, sound, writing, the whole package. That said I don't care for the Beach Boys and definitely not Surfer Girl as a tune. Despite being significantly better than the original, I'm not feeling this. My lack of like seems rooted in not caring for the melody and the harmonic development, not just the Beach Boys...or my bias regarding to the BBs is too much to overcome. Ima go with the former, but it's likely more the latter.

Is this an album of Beach Boys covers? (he asked before going off to find the answer on his own).

Okay, covers from the '60s guitar-based pop music canon. Will need to hear the whole thing before deciding whether or not to buy. Usually I just buy whatever he releases, but I didn't pick up Big Sur and this one isn't a must have yet.

Still love Bill though. Singular in the best way.

Fabulous. Dog is weird.

Maybe, but I've got at least 30 albums that are either his or feature him heavily (and an bunch more with him as a guest on a few tracks). I love Bill, but I don't love this material. It's like the new Wierd Al video that's about online grammar or the lack thereof. It has to be an improvement, but the song just isn't something I want to listen to.

This song is also perpetually in my head, because on those occasions when my wife is caught in the act of eructation I start singing in a stupid childlike voice..."little burper, burper girl"... Oddly, she's not a fan. Anyway, my association with this tune is belch-based and I'd rather hear a good belch from me lady than suffer through 99.9% of what the Beach Boys have to offer.

Back