Pretty innovative Strat... Edge Signature Model

That's an awful lot of U2 records! Does it include any of the ones people actually like?

I'm sure it's a fine strat, and I prefer the Big Headstock - which is actually the main reason Hendrix, Blackmore. Trower and Uli Jon Roth could use strats as serious rock machines, to say nothing (which is plenty) of Yngwie. But I suspect the real reason this exists is that Larry The Bass Player told the Edge just how much he's been making over the years from signing up for amusingly-shaped "signature" P-Basses from every manufacturer on earth.

Larry's the drummer. Adam's the bass player.

Out of curiosity, what is innovate about any other signature strat? Other than Yngwie's scalloped frets, the others are just a strat with the neck shape and pickup preference of the artists. I don't see this one as any different than all the other sig Strats.

Reactions: wok
e656251b832d8845ba70c0d9933ba955.jpg

That's a lotta endorsements, Walter.

That's really not THAT insane. Pedals aside, I see four TC2290s, two SDD 3000s, an Eventide Harmonizer, and maybe an old SPX90 at the top right? The rest might just be patch witchcraft.

That's really not THAT insane. Pedals aside, I see four TC2290s, two SDD 3000s, an Eventide Harmonizer, and maybe an old SPX90 at the top right? The rest might just be patch witchcraft.

Yeah. You ever get a look at John Petrucci's old touring rig?

Old:
dream_theater_john_petrucci_2002.jpg

New:

StreamImage.aspx

Out of curiosity, what is innovate about any other signature strat? Other than Yngwie's scalloped frets, the others are just a strat with the neck shape and pickup preference of the artists. I don't see this one as any different than all the other sig Strats.

For the time the Clapton Strat was unique as it was the only one with the Mid-boost switch/circuit and the v-shaped neck. Beck's was just a Strat Plus with a HUGE neck and then they paired that down, Yngwie's wasn't innovative as scalloping pre-dated his significance and Schecter had an Yngwie model with one in '85, SRV had the huge fret, 12" radius, and lefty bridge, the Jimmy Vaughan/TexMex was a MIM Clapton model with TexMex pups and no mid boost, and the Eric Johnson was like a marriage of the Vaughan models with signature pups.

It's all marketing bullshit as we all know. You can't look at it as an innovation platform, more of celebrity personalization for the masses (that an ox AND a moron!).

I still think the Edge gets too much credit for guitar sounds, which initially mirrored Andy Summers' sounds. Not that the Edge didn't develop some of his own sounds and tricks, but Andy laid the groundwork...at least to my ears.

For the time the Clapton Strat was unique as it was the only one with the Mid-boost switch/circuit and the v-shaped neck. Beck's was just a Strat Plus with a HUGE neck and then they paired that down, Yngwie's wasn't innovative as scalloping pre-dated his significance and Schecter had an Yngwie model with one in '85, SRV had the huge fret, 12" radius, and lefty bridge, the Jimmy Vaughan/TexMex was a MIM Clapton model with TexMex pups and no mid boost, and the Eric Johnson was like a marriage of the Vaughan models with signature pups.

It's all marketing bullshit as we all know. You can't look at it as an innovation platform, more of celebrity personalization for the masses (that an ox AND a moron!).

I still think the Edge gets too much credit for guitar sounds, which initially mirrored Andy Summers' sounds. Not that the Edge didn't develop some of his own sounds and tricks, but Andy laid the groundwork...at least to my ears.

I was saying Yngwie's strat because it was the first Fender with scalloped frets making it very different from a regular strat.

But you helped with the point. Mystix was mocking it and it is no different than any other sig strat. None of them are innovative, they just build one to the preference of the guitarist.

Funny, I was just looking at wiki and the Police formed in 1977 and U2 formed in 1976 as Feedback. Granted the Police were huge way before U2 but it makes me think the Edge and Summers were carving out their sound at the same time.

Funny, I was just looking at wiki and the Police formed in 1977 and U2 formed in 1976 as Feedback. Granted the Police were huge way before U2 but it makes me think the Edge and Summers were carving out their sound at the same time.

I'd have to reread Andy's bio, but he's 18 yrs older than Mr. Evans which has me thinking that he had a more developed and sound at 35 than David had at 14. Even access to effects would have been more in his reach financially. U2 didn't record their first album until 1980, by which time the Police had released two popular and influential albums. That said, it could have have happened exclusively of each other, but one's got it on tape earlier...which is worth nothing in reality, but definitely creates the perception that he was shaping sounds with effects earlier. Perception, of course, can be easily manipulated...especially by one's own mind.:thu:

Nice looking guitar but I don't see what's special about it? Did I miss something. And where are "premium" pickups?? Is that a specific pickup or just some no name random pile of pickups they had laying around?

As @Tiltsta stated already, this strat shares some features with the early 90's strats....which are excellent guitars.

Just remember -- if you're not sounding just like Albert King, then you don't know or understand guitar.

wave0 One True Way thinking .... yeah, that's the ticket.

Anyhow, re: Summers / Edge / UK guitarists of the 70's / 80's, there were a great many guitarists who were doing cool things with effects within the confines of more tightly structured songs than, say, "2112." Robert Smith, James Honeyman-Scott, Howard Devoto, Julian Cope, Will Sargeant, John McGeoch, ......

... I'm terribly sorry, they don't play electrified blues. Stepped out of line there.

Back