Pretty innovative Strat... Edge Signature Model

I like Fender's 2 point tremolo. I have one on my strat plus. It adds no noticeable color to my chords and leads over my 6 screw strats.

I like Fender's 2 point tremolo. I have one on my strat plus. It adds no noticeable color to my chords and leads over my 6 screw strats.

I looks just like the one on my '92 Am Std Strat, but they never said anything about it enhancing sustain and adding colors! :thu:

I looks just like the one on my '92 Am Std Strat, but they never said anything about it enhancing sustain and adding colors! :thu:

I think on our era of strats the micro tilt neck joint adjustment was supposed to add the color. Maybe it was the TBX tone control. Anyway, something on our guitars added color already, so the 2 point trem effect is sort of like colored icing on a colored cake.

The edge guitar looks a lot like a 1992 American standard strat with a big headstock. I wonder if the edge sound/feel is just a 1990's US strat. I don't mean that as a negative remark. Lots of people have signature type guitars that are just reissues of a specific year fender with a few cosmetic tweaks.

Last edited:
As Mr The Edge takes his Fender paycheck, and laughs all the way to the bank.
edge-rorygallagher-02.jpg

I do find The Edge to be immensely likeable, though.

I have zero problem with The Edge.
Seems like a likable guy. I'm a huge fan, and have been since before they got huge (we're talking prior to 1987, hell.....I've been a fan since about 1983.).

I don't really blame him for having a "favorite" strat type. Let's just keep it real, Mr. The Edge, OK? Shit sure looks black on black to me.

Reactions: Tig
Here's me thinking the Edge sound was 99% fx pedals.
Just what I've always said about Hendrix. Isn't that what a lot of rock electric guitar is about? I see a lot of talk about effects around here; that's all part of the sound.

I've quoted Bill Evans a thousand times:

"To the person who uses music as a medium for the expression of ideas, feelings, images, or what have you; anything which facilitates this expression is properly his instrument.”

If The Edge plays effects more than he plays guitar (exaggeration) then there is absolutely nothing wrong with that; it's valid expression.

It's as redundant as saying that John Bonham would have been nothing if we took away his bass drum and cymbals.

The sound the Edge came up with and still uses is probably one of the 5 most copied sounds in rock music history. An army of players have used his delayed sounds on thousands of tunes. Great musician....still won't buy the guitar though.

The Edge's Stratocasters helped inspire the signature tones on countless U2 records

That's an awful lot of U2 records! Does it include any of the ones people actually like?

I'm sure it's a fine strat, and I prefer the Big Headstock - which is actually the main reason Hendrix, Blackmore. Trower and Uli Jon Roth could use strats as serious rock machines, to say nothing (which is plenty) of Yngwie. But I suspect the real reason this exists is that Larry The Bass Player told the Edge just how much he's been making over the years from signing up for amusingly-shaped "signature" P-Basses from every manufacturer on earth.

It's easy to seem likeable when you're in a band with Bono.

I'm ambivalent. I can absolutely live with him, though. There are plenty of musicians who I dislike far more than Bono. I would probably get visceral pleasure out of slowly torturing Jason Mraz, Jack Johnson, and their ilk.

An overweight, balding d-bag who's stolen Gallagher's haircut and wears a headset while playing a Flying V is making fun of the Edge.

Tomorrow, Sister Mary Margaret will tear apart James Joyce's grammar ....

Back