Presonus Firepod (FP10) Audio Interface

I make no qualms about the cheaper than argument.

That said, I love my setup. I'm not running a pro studio and have no intention of doing so. I can record some damned good sounding stuff at my place, be it doing all the tracks by myself, or micing up an entire band and recording it.

I have absolutely no use for Pro Tools, and spending thousands more dollars for me to be able to the same thing I can do now is just not something I'm game to do.

It's kind of like a boutique amp. Yeah, I could spend $5000 on a top end amp, but why would I do that when I get exactly the results I want out of my current amps, of which I have 4 that combined cost about $1500?

I did the audio on these videos with my dual Firepod setup.

Sweet. You guys sound great. I used to do a lot of live recording with my single Firepod.

My biggest annoyance with them is the lack of consideration for routing options.
1. If you want to route to a compressor or something after the preamp, you only have two channels that allow you to do that.
2. You have no line out options when the unit is synced. :mad:

But it's still a pretty good deal for the price. :embarrassed:

Sweet. You guys sound great. I used to do a lot of live recording with my single Firepod.

My biggest annoyance with them is the lack of consideration for routing options.
1. If you want to route to a compressor or something after the preamp, you only have two channels that allow you to do that.
2. You have no line out options when the unit is synced. :mad:

But it's still a pretty good deal for the price. :embarrassed:

What I do is run everything to the live mixing board first, then use a couple of 8 channel 1/4" snakes from the inserts of the live mixer into the Firepods. If you only plug the insert cable 1/2 way into the jack on the live mixer, it lets a signal through to the slider, while still routing it to the insert cable. Then, I'll add any compression or reverb or whatever when I mix it down.

I did one show where I ran to the Firepod first, then out of the track outputs of the Firepod to the live mixer, but I thought it kind of messed with the live sound.

The insert plugged 1/2 way in works well as long as you aren't running anything on the inserts of your live mixer, so if you're using compression live, you probably can't do that. We only put some reverb and/or delay on the vocals when we run live, so it works.

A lot of mixing boards now have dedicated tape sends for each channel. Ours doesn't.

Oh, but doing the insert thing, you have to take into consideration that the first two 1/4" inputs on the Firepod are instrument level instead of line level, so you'll need to turn the gain on those channels way down or they'll clip. I usually just don't use the first two channels, since we only end up with something like 12 tracks for our live mix.

Back