Powered FRFR “Guitar” Cabs

I do it because I got tired of the "less piano in the wedge....no less. LESSS......too much, bring it back...MORE....no wait, less....! Why does my guitar sound weird throughmih this?" ETC.

It's easier to twist your own knobs sometimes, independent of the house systems. That being said, more often than not I just use a good Roland keyboard amp as a FR/FR amp. It's pretty flat, EQ-wise.
While I hate the QSC Touchmix system that we use actually being able to mix my own monitor from my ipad is wonderful. Playing in a large hall with dedicated monitor and FOH mixers this week I actually missed being able to do that since I was about 50 feet on the wrong side of the stage from the monitor mixer.

You were still looking for an EHX powered speaker weren't you?

I never bothered. That said, EV's expertise in full range speaker cabs is leaps and bounds beyond EHX. You may not like the way it looks, but you probably won't find a better speaker than the EV.

I used the EV ELX 112P for a guitar monitor for years. It worked great for an onstage speaker. Now I'm using the Mackie HD1221. It has a slightly sweeter high end but its also several hundred dollars more. The Ev works fine though.

Here's the bare bones rig

jkQhDuYh.jpg

I used the EV ELX 112P for a guitar monitor for years. It worked great for an onstage speaker. Now I'm using the Mackie HD1221. It has a slightly sweeter high end but its also several hundred dollars more. The Ev works fine though.

jkQhDuYh.jpg

That's the whole rig? Awesome.

jkQhDuYh.jpg

I have an EV ZLX 12p. Assuming it's the same thing or very similar? Did you use it in floor wedge "mode" or more as a backline?

And I'll give you another reason to use a keyboard amp instead of a powered PA speaker -- they're much easier to tweak, and the volume controls are less fussy and easier to get to.

I have an EV ZLX 12p. Assuming it's the same thing or very similar? Did you use it in floor wedge "mode" or more as a backline?

The ELX is the model that's one step up from the ZLX. It has wooden cab and maybe a bit more comprehensive control panel...I think? https://www.electrovoice.com/product.php?id=1066 I used it as a backline mostly. I sing a lot and I need the vocal monitor right in my face. I tried the guitar monitor to the side and that was too weird on my ears. So it ended up as a wedge on the floor a few feet back from where I stood. About where you would place a combo amp.

Another thing I tried was running both vocals and guitar thru the same monitor in front. That didn't work at all! Worth trying though...it might work for you.

If there is a sound guy, then there is a PA. If there is a PA, then you already have a monitor. Why do you need a separate monitor for your guitar?
Because every member of the band doesn't always get his own monitor mix or even his own nonitor.

I did the modeling setup into a FRFR for a while. I messed around with cheap monitors for a time, and after throwing away too much time and money on trying to keep them working, I finally decided to get some nice ones.
I got a set of JBLs, and I love them. They are crystal clear and very reliable.

2CBXoXu3qMl1qXdGbdGVnPLeyZBzbuOhIQHpyQLgBnyu8soLtWWgqUYiPV0iZ0WifzrxTFhRFcHFxlQPRho7H8L_r7ocYhINelcsapqcmXbWuHTMufO2DLzkA5htLEuWWiddb3IGPktWx9l1Kye1eN2AIx4ScQf-js30TlFRI6C4-7dfgjMrK67fvZl0jqTpyGoKiF5XwoMoSO8L0B13bbi1RzmyRaWtA7B80R4UiazRuy-Z95FQQoXmDr_lAf4pXTluKU0lLtc3CnW_BLWPqx2acSNRF3-tV7l1MFoQTOOkwTxEJ-N1hjtfIgfcjkb_IoHMkOWyfw4Bay-E1seyLyPB5TsrSGpAnF8jieOBup0Qx9yZRg_kJZgn2Vsv2B-hrCgY_5Or6oTPz8-zAGpnHrz62tXiH-xMBzWkySDa3RvyugMlvOJbSyb97W-2xiZqF5k82Zc7pBb_nib4vLoa6k3fIBOKUa-f17VbCJyTZdG3IRFUuVal9LlZyqu-vcULaJntvBstaWBiPG1-VB9u9_4iNMKOsRNlWk0EH7k4Un-d-wpri-l84xCJT9kgJgyzqE9kK9EAwxqgl1axUHZgYylBwdzNb99zsWL_XU4=w916-h611-no

I did the modeling setup into a FRFR for a while. I messed around with cheap monitors for a time, and after throwing away too much time and money on trying to keep them working, I finally decided to get some nice ones.
I got a set of JBLs, and I love them. They are crystal clear and very reliable.

2CBXoXu3qMl1qXdGbdGVnPLeyZBzbuOhIQHpyQLgBnyu8soLtWWgqUYiPV0iZ0WifzrxTFhRFcHFxlQPRho7H8L_r7ocYhINelcsapqcmXbWuHTMufO2DLzkA5htLEuWWiddb3IGPktWx9l1Kye1eN2AIx4ScQf-js30TlFRI6C4-7dfgjMrK67fvZl0jqTpyGoKiF5XwoMoSO8L0B13bbi1RzmyRaWtA7B80R4UiazRuy-Z95FQQoXmDr_lAf4pXTluKU0lLtc3CnW_BLWPqx2acSNRF3-tV7l1MFoQTOOkwTxEJ-N1hjtfIgfcjkb_IoHMkOWyfw4Bay-E1seyLyPB5TsrSGpAnF8jieOBup0Qx9yZRg_kJZgn2Vsv2B-hrCgY_5Or6oTPz8-zAGpnHrz62tXiH-xMBzWkySDa3RvyugMlvOJbSyb97W-2xiZqF5k82Zc7pBb_nib4vLoa6k3fIBOKUa-f17VbCJyTZdG3IRFUuVal9LlZyqu-vcULaJntvBstaWBiPG1-VB9u9_4iNMKOsRNlWk0EH7k4Un-d-wpri-l84xCJT9kgJgyzqE9kK9EAwxqgl1axUHZgYylBwdzNb99zsWL_XU4=w916-h611-no

Oh look, it's the much maligned HD500. :lol:

Which JBLs are those?

Back