Power! (formerly: So close! ...Progress! ...Current cab pics and Order placed...update: HNCD!)

BTW, those 1-watt 1-ohm metal resistors for bias are tiny...like long grain rice small.

Very cool Wyatt. I am saving up some money for Transformers as well. Gonna be building a BF Vibrolux. Maybe I will get the Fender logo too.

Output transformer arrived and installed...

I spent more time trying to learn how to braid four wires than anything. No new holes needed, the chassis was drilled from both the Super Reverb OT or the Vibroverb/Pro OT when made.
ajzXzwU.jpg

I shouldn't have cut these leads until I was 100% sure they are out of phase with the negative feedback, but we'll see.
Z2VETMR.jpg

The jacks are wired up so the 8-ohm tap is connected when there is no External Speaker and it switches automatically to the 4-ohm tap when an External Speaker is plugged in.
QHoUdb2.jpg

And I did any soldering, or even took the rubber bands off the OT, I made sure it fits! (it did not with the original Super Reverb OT)
xYCKgbA.jpg

Because a Super Reverb/Bassman OT is HUGE! More than twice the volume of the Vibroverb OT.
2KWqD5W.jpg
n3vbAHJ.jpg

One part and two solder joints away from firing it up (remember..I broke the fuse holder)....
sKMitD6.jpg

Last edited:
What the ****!

Went to check my connections and my switch just spun and popped off. No DMM, no fire up, no bias, no nothing! And I was one piece away! I guess buying a cheapy from Radio Shack is my current option.

YZhATol.jpg

Last edited:
Last cheapie I bought was from Menards.

I bought a $23 Velleman from Microcenter (I couldn't find the $15 model) while I try and justify the $230 Fluke 175 to myself .

It's huge, feels like a toy, and required four screws to get to the battery to plug in ... but seems accurate enough.

dvm890l.jpg

Last edited:
I bought a $23 Velleman from Microcenter (I couldn't find the $15 model) while I try and justify the $230 Fluke 175 to myself .

It's huge, feels like a toy, and required four screws to get to the battery to plug in ... but seems accurate enough.

dvm890l.jpg

Knock on Wood....my Fluke 11 still survives!!!

dvm890l.jpg
The one I got from Menards is a GB. I at least recognize the brand, they make wire nuts. :grin:

NOS fuse holder came in today, fits the original cap ...
ydGREiO.jpg

My lightbulb current limiter is currently only half built. So it took me three fuses to find the issue that probably caused the previous owner to get rid of the chassis...a broken solder joint in the bias circuit. I figured it out pretty quick once I saw the tubes red plate before blowing the 3rd fuse. I had to take the fuse out of my Tweed Deluxe for one last try and that's when I located the problem.

Plate voltages are higher than I want (485VDC), more than likely the result of the '69 SFSR PT someone put in the amp, it was probably intended for 5U4GB's, but I dialed the tubes into 60% dissipation and installed the chassis...
fXvsdxe.jpg

Played it...it works and sounds great. A Super/Vibroverb on "7" with the 15" shakes the whole damn neighborhood. The one mod I did (50KA Middle Pot) is perfect, very jazzy with Middle on "10".

BUT...reverb no work-y. I took the reverb tank apart and concluded the output transducer is shot. Still...one...part...away.

Last edited:
Hmmmm.

My 150-watt Eminence 1518 blew in my 40-watt '66 Super Vibroverb. Yes, I was cranked...but still.

Back