Potential new job.

Aaaaaaaaaand... I got a new job. :eek:

Kinda. Sorta. :embarrassed:

The teaching position doesn't open up until January (he's retiring, not quitting outright) and I'm still interested in that. In the meantime, they've been short-handed when it comes to folks who can run sound for events, as they only have one person on staff for it, and he's new. They asked me to come in to see if there was anything I could do to help, and I ended up staying there for two hours, shadowing their engineer and checking out the three different systems they use for the different rooms; a 250 seater black box theater, a ballroom, and a conference/multi-purpose room, as well as their portable set-up for outdoor events. They have a complicated digital console in the theater and their engineer said he was impressed that I was able to sit down with it (never having touched it before) and figure out the basics so quickly; he's a self-described "old roaddog) that is more comfortable with analog consoles. By the end of the day they were impressed enough to hire me on as-needed to either assist their head engineer, or run a a room of my own when needed. They've got several events at the beginning of November, so they said they'll let me know which ones they'll need me for. I think this might work out even better than the teaching position.

That's probably a better gig. You can still do your own teaching without it being a conflict of interest by teaching there.

Back