Post your Rat pedal tones.

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
I can never get a good sound out of one but I know they can be had. Anyone here use a Rat pedal and like their sound?

That was in the past. I don't remember if the I sounded better than the II. My friend had the one that I used for a while until I bought a used II. But that was over 20 something years ago....Funny how today they call my II the white faced Rat - Huh????:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

That was in the past. I don't remember if the I sounded better than the II. My friend had the one that I used for a while until I bought a used II. But that was over 20 something years ago....Funny how today they call my II the white faced Rat - Huh????:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

the RAT changed appearances and then circuits quite a bit over the years. the newest ones are a RAT in name only. completely different circuit.

the RAT changed appearances and then circuits quite a bit over the years. the newest ones are a RAT in name only. completely different circuit.

I figured that was the case because the website mentioned white faced RAT which brought the classic LM308 IC chip which was the heart of those RAT's.

I figured that was the case because the website mentioned white faced RAT which brought the classic LM308 IC chip which was the heart of those RAT's.

right. and they were still used in RAT2's up until about 5 years ago (i think). then production was moved and everything changed.

I had one in stock that was the absolute worst sounding pedal I've ever heard that cost more than $35. I sold it on eBay instead of selling to a customer.

I'm pretty sure micwalt's signature electric sound is a Rat pedal into his Classic 30.

Wow, I never come in here, but I just ventured in and saw this thread.
I recorded two full-length CDs and some demos with a Standard Tele, a C30, and a RAT2 for solos. Sounded great. It was stolen at an outdoor gig (along with my entire board), and for some reason I replaced it with a Classic RAT. It was never as good. And nowadays it seems to sound crappier and crappier.
Here's an example of how the RAT2 sounded (solo at 2:25):
http://hc.bloodyvelvet.com/files/225/The Long Way 1.MP3

Last edited:
Wow, I never come in here, but I just ventured in and saw this thread.
I recorded two full-length CDs and some demos with a Standard Tele, a C30, and a RAT2 for solos. Sounded great. It was stolen at an outdoor gig (along with my entire board), and for some reason I replaced it with a Classic RAT. It was never as good. And nowadays it seems to sound crappier and crappier.
Here's an example of how the RAT2 sounded (solo at 2:25):
http://hc.bloodyvelvet.com/files/225/The Long Way 1.MP3

See what happens when you guys look around outside of the lounge? :tongue:

Rat pedals are notorious for being inconsistent from year to year....you probably had a killer old one and the one you bought was completely different under the hood...

See what happens when you guys look around outside of the lounge? :tongue:

Rat pedals are notorious for being inconsistent from year to year....you probably had a killer old one and the one you bought was completely different under the hood...

:)
Yeah, they really were completely different.
idn_smilie

if you're looking for a suitable replacement for your old RAT, and like soldering, check out the BYOC Mighty Mouse and Beavis Audio FKR

And if you're not into soldering, you can buy the kit and send it to me.

I need a new project and don't have the funds for one of my own. :embarrassed:

And if you're not into soldering, you can buy the kit and send it to me.

I need a new project and don't have the funds for one of my own. :embarrassed:

Ah, I think I'm over the RAT. I'm digging the tones from the Blackstar, and I'm thinking a nice compressor would go nicely with it.
Thanks for the offer, though.
:)

Back