Post your prog (that doesn't belong in jazz threads)

I love jazz, and love the jazz threads. But I was interested in the prog discussion too. So post some prog you like, or don't like. Vanilla or otherwise.

(I like Roine Stolt and his work).

Big Big Train was my second thought after Echolyn, but I was trying to think outside the Yes, Genesis, Gentle Giant, ELP, Dream Theater, etc. box.

Mike Keneally is one of my favorite musicians of all time. I don't classify him or his music, because it's everywhere and amazing. As broad a brush as "progressive" can paint, I find it too confining for Mike. That said, he's done a significant amount of prog-like stuff and it's stellar. Frank's the same, but rarely classified in the prog world from what I've seen over the years. Tull were always borderline for me, awesome at times, but not as progressive enough to be thought of as such...like Floyd, but completely different.

I love a lot of music that has come from progressive artists that have veered away from the overly/overtly/purposefully complex arrangements, especially Peter Gabriel, Queen, Rabin-era Yes (and his solo stuff). Marillion with Fish is also something special.

Interestingly with Dave Gregory in Big Big Train these days, I always think of the slight, seemingly via the Beatles, progressive lean of XTC and Dave's killer contributions to that music. Prog-pop is what I've called some of this stuff...as mentioned in previous proggish threads.

Another recent fave is Beardfish (what's with Swedes and prog btw?)

And our guys Motorpsycho have had the odd prog moment, although they can't really be confined to any one genre.
"The Death Defying Unicorn" is a fantastic album btw, can't recommend it enough.

Last edited:
Opeth released another song from the upcoming album yesterday. It sounds killer, in that old-school prog rock-type sound. I think the new album isn't going to have any death metal vocals, just like their last one. I wonder if Mikael Akerfeldt's throat is shot for doing those growls any more?

Anywho, if you like old-school prog rock:

Opeth released another song from the upcoming album yesterday. It sounds killer, in that old-school prog rock-type sound. I think the new album isn't going to have any death metal vocals, just like their last one. I wonder if Mikael Akerfeldt's throat is shot for doing those growls any more?

Anywho, if you like old-school prog rock:

I think he just got tired of that thing. For myself, I have to admit I prefer their more old style prog music without the growling. :embarrassed:

Of course I had to include the one that I based my username on.
Couldn't find the live version that's even better than the studio one though...:embarrassed:

Back