Post your "anti-boutique" monster!!!!

mystixboi1

Kick Henry Jackassowski
So I've always bought "higher/mid-priced" guitars... prs, gibson, fender american deluxes, ibanez jems, EB MM, Suhr, etc. A while back, I found a Fender Deluxe Player's Strat for $280. I snagged it up and spent another $35 or so on a drop-in pre-wired pickguard from Dragonfire Guitars.

I've owned tons of Fender Strats... mostly American Deluxe's and this one beats them all hands down!!!

It oozes mojo and plays better than any other Fender Strat I've played.

702424AB-1BBB-4290-85D2-96A42C0CA7F5.jpg

How about you? what is your low priced boutique killer(no offense Doug and McFeeley!!! I'd love to try your stuff)?

Hmm... I definitely love my boutique gear. But if I had to pick a few non-boutique guitars that hold their own pretty well, I'd pick my Palo Escrito telcaster and James Tyler Variax JTV-59. James Tyler is a boutique brand, but mine is of the Korean import variety. It feels and sounds great, if it is a bit on the heavy side for my tastes. But I don't think they could replace my Kauers or nicer Gibsons, etc.

400-1411762065-1de51e80bc0d02eaa93102e5458e1200.jpg

35175_1505479005314_3092743_n.jpg

This is Penny. I put her together on a shoestring budget. Someone did a home paint job on the body and then sold it on ebay. I snagged it cheap. The neck came from a guitar that I paid 60 bucks for. The pickups are from a Dean ML, sound great and were 5 bucks a piece because I bought a lot. The pickguard was cheap but looks badass. I don't think this guitar even cost me 300 to put together, and it plays like a stone cold motherfucker. Beautiful. Love this guitar.

This mongrel guitar. Found the body as it is in the picture in the garbage (on a NYC sidewalk back when I lived there). It is an old warmoth and looks like swamp ash. The logo in the pocket looked wrong, so I sent a pic to warmoth and they told me that was from their first couple of years making bodies, sometime in the early 80's. Neck is a thrift shop warmoth SRV carve with jumbo frets I got cheap. Bridge came with the body and is a US Fender with some graphite type saddles. The pickups are texas specials (bought used on local Craigslist) wired with a blend pot that I had laying around. Knobs and pick guard came from the used parts bin at a local store. I put it together as a test fit with the intent of then refinishing the body, but the damn thing played so well I just kind of left it as is. It is ugly and made from random bits, which is about as anti boutique as anything I have. I probably have about 300 bucks in the guitar, maybe a bit more. Hard to say for sure, as a lot of it was old crap I had laying around, or stuff I got really cheap.

DPP07DA0C18112207.jpg

DPP07DA0C18112123.jpg

Last edited:
Almost all my guitars qualify as anti-boutique.
This one's probably the king, though:
393-1410898504-b985f6a8013119e46585fa6c8399bbd8.jpg

Are these "anti- boutique" or just cheap? I think of boutique as anything made by a smaller scale builder/company. Any large scale manufacture like Gibson or fender or even PRS would then be anti-boutique, right?

I think most of my collection is anti-boutique.

I do love my Korean made Alex Chase 7 String...

Green_Monster_1800_01.jpg

It is obvious that much of it was crafted by hand and not from a large factory

And another thing... I think my favorite builder over the last few years is well... Myself. I like what I build and they all sound great.

Scott, you are a boutique builder. there's no escaping it, man.

How many a year do you have to build to be a boutique builder?

I only build 4-10 and I am currently behind on 5. That and some guy I know online wants a guitar.

Really, I would like to make it only 4-6 a year plus one for me

How many a year do you have to build to be a boutique builder?

I only build 4-10 and I am currently behind on 5. That and some guy I know online wants a guitar.

Really, I would like to make it only 4-6 a year plus one for me

no idea. i think you're there. those sound like boutique annual production numbers :)

I don't have it anymore, but this was about as antiboutique as it gets. It was an Oscar Schmidt OE-40 hollowbody. It's the bargain line of Washburn guitars. It's the size of the Gibson L-5, and it was the heaviest guitar that I owned. I parted with it in the past year, mainly because I didn't want the hassle of upgrading the pickups and wiring in a hollowbody myself, and I wasn't ready to pay to have it done. I felt like I would be throwing money at a cheap guitar, when I could put the money toward something better.
94ca0829-274e-46ec-91da-62e57683b918_zps9d9db243.jpg

The second one is an Alex Chase Foto Flame 12 string electric. It might not seem like much, and it's defintely not a go-to guitar. Sometimes it sits for months before it gets played, but when I do, it's just fun.

IMGP9596_zps25bae65c.jpg

this is my anti-boutique monster. it's a very pedestrian Gibson Les Paul Standard from 2003. it's stock other than strap lock buttons. there's no reason why it should sound as good as it does - there's nothing "custom shop" or "extra special limited" about it. but there is something very, very special about the way this guitar plays and sounds. i played this one live for several years and it's got some wear on it. this is one of my top five favorite guitars i've ever owned.

w03LPStandard-001.jpg

w03LPStandard-005.jpg

w03LPStandard-006.jpg

w03LPStandard-007.jpg

Back