Post a pic of your current favorite guitar (that YOU own).

100_0624_zps75a7a27b.jpg

The honeymoon still ain't over and I bought it last fall. Have since put a Don Mare "Big Box" pickup in the neck position. And am about swap out the saddles with Wilkinsen Brass saddles.

And I've posted this too many times but here is may fave of faves.
/quote]
could I give that a spin through my amp when you're here next week?

Hey Prages! Yes, that's the finished blacktop. Its pretty rad.

I saved that thread as a favorite and literally only went to HC to check that thread for a good year or two.

I'm glad you finally got the guitar back, and that it lived up to its expectations. It certainly had a ton of blood, sweat, and tears along the way, and the finished product looks amazing.

I saved that thread as a favorite and literally only went to HC to check that thread for a good year or two.

I'm glad you finally got the guitar back, and that it lived up to its expectations. It certainly had a ton of blood, sweat, and tears along the way, and the finished product looks amazing.

that's really cool. I'm glad you got that much enjoyment out of the process that meandi took us through. he put a ton of time that he didn't have to spare into that guitar and it came out above my expectation. i'm very appreciative of his time and effort.

I should add that independent of any new builds, ^^ GreatDane has the most epic guitar collection most will ever see. Just ask to see his paisley chair photos of epic instruments, a collection anyone would love to own.:) I think we would all benefit from more blacktop pics.

This one probably gets the biggest workout at home at the moment (1996 MIM Strat - Agave Blue - with upgraded Lace Sensor Gold pups):
IMGP9518_zps4cb1846c.jpg

This one gets more of a workout out of the house though. I'm playing it each week at church (2013 Alvarez Artist Series Acoustic-Electric Dreadnaught - AD60CE):

IMGP9260_zps8619ea4a.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Tig
Well I suppose this one gets more use than any other:

PA240543.JPG

As far as electrics go, it's a bit of a toss up between this:

P2260126.JPG

and this:

telecaster-partscaster-031.jpg

At this moment in time, the Strat is getting most use.

Reactions: Tig
well, since lots of other folks are posting "2nd choices", I will too :grin:

this gets used on tons of my recordings; anything remotely heavy, this is probably on there somewhere

SAM_0867.JPG

it needs a bath.
they all do, really...

so what was the story behind that?

hey! there's a very long thread on this guitar on another forum, but i'll try to quickly sum it up for you (And anyone else not familiar with this backstory):

i had a wine red '81 LP Deluxe body and neck "husk" that i couldn't do anything with so i started a thread asking if anyone wanted to take it on as a project.

another forumite ("meandi") stepped in, and agreed to photo-document the process along the way. that was five years ago. the guitar was returned to me about a month ago. it is awesome.

The guitar pictured has had a truss rod replaced (with carbon rod inserts added inside the neck), binding re-done meticulously by hand, refret, full refinish, new headstock overlay (complete with shell "Gibson" logo that was cut by hand!).

of course, the majority of the process is documented with commentary from meandi. we attracted some forum attention along the way and had a pretty fun crowd hanging out and watching the progress. a number of other forumites even stepped in to help - providing waterslide decals and vectorized images for the headstock, helping meandi build a spraying booth (!!!), building custom pickups for the guitar (BG Pickups - a regular wind neck and an overwound bridge), and weighing in on questions we had about aesthetics (tint the back or let it end up natural, for example).

the forum where the thread was housed went through a series of changes over that time that disrupted the community and eventually caused most everyone to go elsewhere (like here at Wein's place).

though i played a very minor part in the whole thing, i feel honored to have been involved in what i consider to be a fine example of what a forum community can be.

here's a link to the thread, if you want the LONG version - ha!: http://www.harmonycentral.com/t5/El...Project-HCEG-Black-Top/m-p/22248013#U22248013

Back