Pork spareribs marinated in Dr. Pepper

Jbird

Kick Henry Jackassowski
I remember some of the peeps over at HCGJ back in the day said Dr. Pepper made a good overnight marinade for ribs.

I've got a full rack cooking on my little Weber Smokey Joe's grill right at this moment :)

I dumped the soda marinade, patted down the ribs to dry them, and dry rubbed them with some KC Masterpiece dry rub (too lazy to make my own dry rub tonight).

I'll get back with you guys and report how they turned out.

Cool

My carnitas recipe uses a can of coke - those tooth enamel-dissolving chemicals in the pop tenderize the meat like crazy! :grin:

Oh my, those were delicious!

I may have overcooked them slightly, but not bad by any means. It's easy to overcook things on those little Smokey Joe's as the food is so close to the coals.

I let the coals die down a bit before throwing the ribs on, I didn't put them on right after starting the grill. And I have a 12" Airbake pizza pan that is perforated with little holes. Fits right in the Smokey Joe with just a bit of room left over. I cut the ribs in half, put each half on a piece of foil, then put both foils on the Airbake pizza pan, and into the grill. Turned out that's a perfect way to cook those. I may start using that pizza pan to cook my burgers and such, from now on. It lifts the meat higher off the coals, so it doesn't cook as fast.

I had the ribs on for an hour and a half. I didn't turn them, just let the bottom part that has the tendon or whatever that is that holds the bone together, I let that char up nicely, but the meat on top cooked nice and slow and smokey. I always worry about undercooking things ( I like well done :embarrassed: ) and I don't have a meat thermometer. I let the meat rest while I cooked some mac n' cheese and baked beans. No pink at all in the meat, maybe just a tad overdone, but still the meat was fairly tender, and a very good flavor.

The KC Masterpiece dry rub (original) is pretty much brown sugar with other spices added in, but surprisingly isn't real sweet, when all is said and done. A good home-made dry rub would be better, but the KC worked pretty well and gave a decent flavor.

Would do it this way again, for sure :)

It sounds good!

And it just reminds me I need to get a grill - though I really have no place out of the weather to keep it at my duplex.

Wonder if the Dr Pepper affects the flavor, (say, vs Coke), or if it's all just sugar in the long run.

Acid of the soda tenderizes the meat. Marinating meat in salty acidic solutions will tenderize the meat & allow it to hold on to moisture. The flavors in the marinade also come along for the ride.

Back