Polyphonic Vocalist Does The Impossible

I have to admit, she made it hard to focus...
But that's some wild shit. I wonder if she can do actual vocals with that technique?

What constitutes "actual vocals"? She can't be a one-woman acapella group, but she can make music.

There's a great documentary about Paul Pena (blind blues musician, writer of 'Jet Airliner', now deceased, great guy) who, about 20-25 years ago, heard Huun-Huur-Tu (Tuvan throat singing group) on the radio late at night. Pena taught himself the vocal technique, learned the lyrics from translating via English-Russian and Russian-Tuvan Braille dictionaries, and eventually traveled to Tuva and participated in their annual throat singing competition.

It's called 'Genghis Blues'.

What constitutes "actual vocals"? She can't be a one-woman acapella group, but she can make music.

There's a great documentary about Paul Pena (blind blues musician, writer of 'Jet Airliner', now deceased, great guy) who, about 20-25 years ago, heard Huun-Huur-Tu (Tuvan throat singing group) on the radio late at night. Pena taught himself the vocal technique, learned the lyrics from translating via English-Russian and Russian-Tuvan Braille dictionaries, and eventually traveled to Tuva and participated in their annual throat singing competition.

It's called 'Genghis Blues'.

:thu:

Genghis Blues is a great doc, and so is Pena's music. He really shoulda been big.

:thu:

Genghis Blues is a great doc, and so is Pena's music. He really shoulda been big.

He stayed with a mutual friend for about a couple of weeks, after another trip to Tuva, back in 2001 or 2002, and I got to know him a fair bit. Like I said, a really nice guy and gentle soul. He was originally diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer and, at the time I met him, he'd just recently been rediagnosed as having pancreatitis; still a serious and painful illness, but not typically fatal. So he was in really great spirits. I was really shocked when he died only a couple of years after that.

I just wish I could find good examples of her singing actual music. She’s in an avant-garde folk band but she’s always buried in the mix so you can hear the mouth harp and the triangle…

He stayed with a mutual friend for about a couple of weeks, after another trip to Tuva, back in 2001 or 2002, and I got to know him a fair bit. Like I said, a really nice guy and gentle soul. He was originally diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer and, at the time I met him, he'd just recently been rediagnosed as having pancreatitis; still a serious and painful illness, but not typically fatal. So he was in really great spirits. I was really shocked when he died only a couple of years after that.

That's great (the non-cancer parts), did you see him perform?

Unfortunately I only became aware of him and the film when he died, but I'm definitely a fan.

That's great (the non-cancer parts), did you see him perform?

Unfortunately I only became aware of him and the film when he died, but I'm definitely a fan.

Yeah. I didn't see him in concert, but I saw play at my friend's house, and he did some free (like I said; good guy) demonstrations for local high school music classes.

Back