Pointless Picks?

They gave me one of those at NAMM and I hated it...Help!I'maRock! here on the forum was with me if you want a corroboration of my reaction :grin:

I haven't tried them out yet, and my initial reaction is a little indifferent. But I have to be fair...

Completely forgot about this post. :) I really tried to like them, and I thought they did great with strumming, but like you, I rely way too much on the point, so I could never bond with them. I gave them to my son's best friend, and he absolutely loves them. Well, you never know...

I also got one at NAMM and tried to use it. I thought the idea was good - on paper - but couldn't stand using it.

I started making my own exothermic plastic picks about 6 months ago. These are all that I use now...yes, will have to get some pics of these picks....

Also made some out of exotic woods....
http://web.mac.com/fusedstudios/Studio_Pics_and_Picks/Picks.html

The circle ones that I made out of wood, like you guys, great for strumming but horrid for lead work.

Haven't tried a circle exothermic plastic one yet....
Now what if we had one that was mostly round with a tip on one end?
Or maybe round but with a rough edge?
I may have to make a mold and give it a try....

My favorite...

PK15-H-GRY.jpg

But how does it work for you for quick lead work? For example, could you shred with it or do you mostly do rhythm with it?

I only really play rhythm guitar now. My body refuses to acknowledge "lead guitar" anymore. My fingers have turned into thumbs.

I may be on to something... Over the weekend, worked on a design thats a hybrid of the round pick with a point on one end... Round part works great for rhythm and the point seems to cover the shred and lead end of things.

Now finding the biggest difference being the diameter of the pick... Makes a huge diff on the round side, of course.

Evolving this even more. But there is some merit to having a round side for rhythm.
I've known many to turn their Fender picks to one of the back rounder sides for rhythm.
Same kind of thing here except the entire back half is the round side.

Making these out of liquid plastics poured into RTV molds.
I'm loving where this is leading....

At some point, I may wish to kick some out to the people... You know to share the fun.

I'll keep you all posted, unless, you don't really care ... which is ok too :wink:

I just use the butt end of the Delrin Dunlop picks....

2 picks in one as I no longer use the pointed end anymore.

Dunlop%20Delrin%20096.jpg

I've always played with the side of the pick. I've often tried to retrain myself to use the pointy end but I always end up going back. I might try those picks. I use dunlop tortex picks as well.

Back