POD HD500X

Try turning the HD volume down and the speaker volume up.

In the patches I sent you, the mixer stage is well cranked. Also, going direct, they are likely to sound pretty shrill. I EQ my patches specifically to go into my JC 77 with the tone controls on the amp all set to 5.

When balancing volume for a patch or between patches, is the mixer volume the best way to change loudness with as little effect on tone?

When balancing volume for a patch or between patches, is the mixer volume the best way to change loudness with as little effect on tone?
Well, yes.

And no.

My biggest gripe with the unit is the sheer number of individual points in the signal chain that effect total output volume. There's really no single solution to the problem of volume differences between patches, the mixer stage is the "final" point (at least on the software side), but everything that comes before it effects the volume overall, and then there's the actual volume and master volume knobs that are independent once again.

I wish it weren't such a mess in this regard, because it can be incredibly frustrating.

Can't you just plug into the front of a clean amp (or go into the effects return) and keep the volume low?

My patches all have amp and speaker cab simulators in them, so they are definitely not designed to be played through a guitar amp. It might sound ok, though. I don't recall ever trying it.

I would definitely second OGG's suggestion to turn down the HD500x master volume and turn up the speaker volume. I think you might be hitting the front end of the speakers with too much signal.

Can't you just plug into the front of a clean amp (or go into the effects return) and keep the volume low?

I could, but there's the issue jaxn described and, more importantly, I currently don't have a spot to put an amp where my toddlers can't get at it.

I could set up in the garage and freeze my tits off...

Ok so i just tried using this thing with the 4 cable method with the goal of being able to use my amp's pre or a simulated pre off the 500x. i'm not sure i'm setting things up correctly in the 500x's signal chain. i know the cabling is correct (checked and triple checked). two questions:

is turning the FX loop in the 500x on and off supposed to turn my tube amp's pre on and off?

where in the 500x's signal chain should the amp sim sit relative to the FX loop and relative to the mixer?

I can tell i have a ton of tweaking to do because it sounds like SHIT but i need to make sure i've got the above two concepts down first. strangely, I can't find the info i'm after via googling...either i'm over thinking this or i'm missing something.

going to do a factory reset of the box now, the previous owner had tweaked a ton of stuff and i do better starting at the basics.

Yeah, never tried the 4 cable thing either. I know I always put my amp Sim last in the chain, but that's specifically because I don't use the FX loop thing.

There are two manuals for the HD series, the standard, which is useless, and the "Advanced Pilot's Guide". The second one should have the answer you're looking for (assuming your desired outcome is even supported by the software). That guide is as thorough and in - depth as any I have ever seen. If it ain't in that book, the unit can't do it.

If you don't have that manual, you can download it in .pdf from the Line 6 website.

Based on multiple YouTube vids, this box can do what I'm after. Nobody seems to explain it though. Manual is on my to do list.

so basically i'm coming to the conclusion that this box sounds real nice straight into headphones or external speakers (and hopefully a PA). but getting it to sound good through an amp seems like it will take endless tweaking and adjusting of levels and effects. Does that sound about right @OGG ? If that's the case, I don't have the knob twiddling time and will just dedicate the POD to non-amp uses...or get rid of it. Grrrrr

so basically i'm coming to the conclusion that this box sounds real nice straight into headphones or external speakers (and hopefully a PA). but getting it to sound good through an amp seems like it will take endless tweaking and adjusting of levels and effects. Does that sound about right @OGG ? If that's the case, I don't have the knob twiddling time and will just dedicate the POD to non-amp uses...or get rid of it. Grrrrr
That has pretty much been my experience.

Here's the thing: if you create your patches using a direct out to headphones or speakers, they will always sound great when run direct. They will sound like absolute shit through an amp.

Conversely, if you create your patches while plugged into an amp, and at stage/rehearsal/performance volume, they will sound great through the amp and sound like absolute shit direct.

Yeah, I only ever used it straight to PA, straight to computer, and straight to powered monitor.

Back