Please....Somebody Talk Me Out of This.....

i've been a pretty nutso fan of Larry Carlton for decades.....all the way back to Steely Dan.
and he has a vintage Sho-Bud volume pedal he's been using for like 40 years.
and this has come up on Reverb. they're asking $130 and that doesn't seem too bad for the vintage....Argh!!!

atalqz0xj7oj01e9xzbz.jpg

It's a passive volume pedal, tow jacks, two wires, one pot. It probably works just as well/bad as any passive volume pedal, and many new ones cost more. Being a Sho-Bud, for steel guitar, it will be very tall to be more ergonomic for playing while sitting.

Idk about the old Shobuds, but modern vol pedals aimed at steelers usually go the opposite, towards a lower profile. If you are tall or even average height a tall vol pedal can interfere with getting your knee under the instrument and cramp your style so to speak. I have an reg Ernie Ball and a steel specific Stage One and the Stage One is significantly lower profile. Both are passive. I’m only 5’7” so the height really doesn’t effect me, but if I was 3” taller I can see where it would be an issue.
I prefer the EB for lap steel and the S1 for pedal. But it’s more a pot taper thing for me rather than the height. The EB has a more even taper from off to full on and works good for the pumping kind of swells that I like to do on lap. The S1 has more of its vol increase towards the end of the throw and can be used with more subtlety and finesse.
But in any case that’s not a bad price for a vintage piece.

Idk about the old Shobuds, but modern vol pedals aimed at steelers usually go the opposite, towards a lower profile. If you are tall or even average height a tall vol pedal can interfere with getting your knee under the instrument and cramp your style so to speak. I have an reg Ernie Ball and a steel specific Stage One and the Stage One is significantly lower profile. Both are passive. I’m only 5’7” so the height really doesn’t effect me, but if I was 3” taller I can see where it would be an issue.
I prefer the EB for lap steel and the S1 for pedal. But it’s more a pot taper thing for me rather than the height. The EB has a more even taper from off to full on and works good for the pumping kind of swells that I like to do on lap. The S1 has more of its vol increase towards the end of the throw and can be used with more subtlety and finesse.
But in any case that’s not a bad price for a vintage piece.
that^^ is likely why Carlton uses the pedal steel vol pedals.

Back