Played this at Guitar Center today.

Kerouac

weird musical dildo
http://morganamps.com/amps/amplifiers/799-2/

MA_MVP23COMBO-TL_FRONT.jpg

MA_MVP23-TL_SIDE.jpg

MVP23

The MVP23 is a handwired in USA amp designed to deliver punchy cleans and amazing overdriven tones at any volume level. At its heart, the MVP23 splits the line between the classic 18w blues breaker and the modified American amps that now sell for $100,000. The MVP takes you from printine clean to liquid overdrive with its interactive controls. The gain structure of this amp was designed to be extremely sensitive to your pick attack and the guitar’s volume control. The MVP23 utilizes a pair of cathode biased Class-A, EL84 tubes who’s output power is controlled by Morgan’s Power Scaling circuitry. Power Scaling allows you to play anything from 1/4 watt to 23 watts and EVERYTHING in between without loosing an ounce of tone.Power Scaling Explained: Pedals traditionally peform best when the amplifier is at or near it’s break up point. This is why an overdrive pedal is called an “over” drive - it is “driving” the amp over that level. Unfortunately, this volume is too loud for most applications. Conventional master volumes choke off the signal to the power section of the amp to a usable level which negatively affects the way your pedals interact with your amp. The MVP’s Power Scaling solves this - it limits the size of the actual output signal that can be produced by the output tubes. The signal is never “choked” down and therefore behaves identical as if the amp were running at full volume. This allows you to play the MVP-23 at ANY level without compromising tone!

Product Specs
• Variable Power - 0.25 - 23w
• Hand-Wired in The USA
• Cathode Biased Class A
• Power Scaling Control
• Gain, Volume, Treble, Mid & Bass
• 2 x EL-84 Power Tubes
• 2 x 12AX7 Preamp Tubes
• Celestion G12H75 Creamback Loaded
• Baltic Birch Construction / Twilight Finish
• Also Available as a Head with Matching Cabs
• 5-Year Warranty

Product Dimensions
• Dimensions: 10" (D) x 20” (W) x 20" (H)
• Weight: 40 lb.

The power scaling worked great. Pretty new I guess, as I couldn't find any clips or videos online, and Anderton's appears to have them on back order. Played through it with a Jazzmaster and an Am. Deluxe Tele and they both sounded great. Very significant other-friendly tolex too.... :love:

I’d like to know more about Morgan amps. If they can sell handwired USA-made amps for $1,699 through a big chain there must be someone with deep pockets investing in the company. Is this a boutique firm that’s finally going big or someone who skipped the boutique part and went straight to big?

I’d like to know more about Morgan amps. If they can sell handwired USA-made amps for $1,699 through a big chain there must be someone with deep pockets investing in the company. Is this a boutique firm that’s finally going big or someone who skipped the boutique part and went straight to big?

My first exposure to them was at Vintage King in Nashville. I really liked their AC20... went to see Wilco that night and Tweedy was playing a pair of them.

I'd love to try one of these out. I'm a little surprised to hear that GC is carrying them.

It was really great sounding. I don't need it, but I want it. I imagine my Eastman would have been fantastic... I was getting really controllable feedback with the jazz master.

So GC is carrying them? I know what I am doing tomorrow.

I guess. Our store is in TERRIBLE shape. Five high end acoustics, all but a handful of PRS guitars are gone, but they have tons of Mitchell and low-end Gibson... very little Ibanez or Schecter. About the only decent selection they had were mid-priced Fender and Squier.

I guess. Our store is in TERRIBLE shape. Five high end acoustics, all but a handful of PRS guitars are gone, but they have tons of Mitchell and low-end Gibson... very little Ibanez or Schecter. About the only decent selection they had were mid-priced Fender and Squier.
That sounds like the GC in my neighborhood too. They used to have a high end amp room with the Marshall and boogies. Now it's a rental room with beat up crap you can rent. The acoustic room still has a decent selection but the electric guitars are mostly low to mid level selections.
Not for nothing but they are getting what they had coming to them. This is karma....they came swooping in and took a lot of small businesses out. About a year ago I was selling an amp in reverb and a local guy contacted me and wanted to play it. So he came over the house one day and it turned out he was a guy that used to own a music store a few towns over. He told me the whole story of how the GC came to town and "made him an offer he couldn't resist". And he closed up shop....

Asked Don, a facebook friend. Works at the Joliet GC and, a fellow lefty. No Morgans there yet. :(

That sounds like the GC in my neighborhood too. They used to have a high end amp room with the Marshall and boogies. Now it's a rental room with beat up crap you can rent. The acoustic room still has a decent selection but the electric guitars are mostly low to mid level selections.
Not for nothing but they are getting what they had coming to them. This is karma....they came swooping in and took a lot of small businesses out. About a year ago I was selling an amp in reverb and a local guy contacted me and wanted to play it. So he came over the house one day and it turned out he was a guy that used to own a music store a few towns over. He told me the whole story of how the GC came to town and "made him an offer he couldn't resist". And he closed up shop....

The loud room still had some nice stuff, but not like it used to. The floor had low end Marshall, Line 6 and the Fender Silverfaces/Mustangs/etc. The loud room had the Morgans, one Mesa, a Friedman, and the whole collection of Supros. Also had a used AC30 Custom Classic. The used Jazzmaster from the other thread was hanging up in there, as well as a used Grosh that's been there forever and a bunch of marked down Ernie Ball models. A couple of 70's Strats too. Behind the glass case there were Duesenbergs, their few remaining PRS guitars and some Gibsons, including a Chris Cornell model I've eternally lusted after, but would never pay that much for.

A creepy ginger employee followed me throughout the entire store. Any time I'd stop to play something, he'd stop a little bit behind me and pick at strings, reset amp settings and just generally "straighten" the area, until I moved on. He'd follow right behind. The entire time I was there, no one spoke to me, asked if I needed help, or anything. Just creepy ginger shadow man. :messedup: I came in to buy some speaker cables, but the only ones they had were 50' and their most expensive line, so I bailed.

They also ditched their high-end pedal case and moved them to where they used to have the used pedals, which they didn't seem to have any.

That's really creepy that he followed you around but didn't even speak to you...
I seldom really shop there much anymore except in the rare "emergency" when I might need a cable for a gig hat night or something. Mostly I buy stuff online just because of the simplicity of it.
It's really a shame that GC put so many smaller stores out of business. Back 20 or so years ago there were a good dozen or so smaller music stores around my area. Today, only 3 that I can think of are still around and one of them specializes in piano and more jazz and classical type instruments. It's a damn shame.

That's really creepy that he followed you around but didn't even speak to you...
I seldom really shop there much anymore except in the rare "emergency" when I might need a cable for a gig hat night or something. Mostly I buy stuff online just because of the simplicity of it.
It's really a shame that GC put so many smaller stores out of business. Back 20 or so years ago there were a good dozen or so smaller music stores around my area. Today, only 3 that I can think of are still around and one of them specializes in piano and more jazz and classical type instruments. It's a damn shame.

There's a local store here in town that pretty much subsists on band instrument rentals and the shittiest guitar gear known to man; low-end BC Rich, the worst of AXL and other no-names, etc. In the window they had a beautiful Sonor drum kit, so I went in and asked them about it. It was a discontinued 2013 model and when I checked it out, it had sat there so long that the drums were cobwebbed together and there were dead bugs all on the heads. I asked about the price and they wanted list for it. I asked what they'd do for cash money on the table, and they said $100 off list. Then, the clerk looked at me and snarkily said, "You *do* know that doesn't include cymbals or hardware, right? Most beginners don't." I just smiled and said, "Sorry, I'm looking for something a little nicer. Sorry I wasted your time." I won't even buy a pack of strings from them now. When they finally go under I'm looking forward to the closeout sale... they have some late 90's Crate Flexwave amps (still at list price) in the window that would be great for holding down tarps in the garage.

Good stuff built by an asshole that doesn't care about taking money and never delivering product.

I went to one of our local GC's today. No Morgans. I wasn't too surprised though. It's not one of the bigger GC's. I browsed a bit, but got annoyed by everything around me in under 10 minutes and had to leave.

There's a local store here in town that pretty much subsists on band instrument rentals and the shittiest guitar gear known to man; low-end BC Rich, the worst of AXL and other no-names, etc. In the window they had a beautiful Sonor drum kit, so I went in and asked them about it. It was a discontinued 2013 model and when I checked it out, it had sat there so long that the drums were cobwebbed together and there were dead bugs all on the heads. I asked about the price and they wanted list for it. I asked what they'd do for cash money on the table, and they said $100 off list. Then, the clerk looked at me and snarkily said, "You *do* know that doesn't include cymbals or hardware, right? Most beginners don't." I just smiled and said, "Sorry, I'm looking for something a little nicer. Sorry I wasted your time." I won't even buy a pack of strings from them now. When they finally go under I'm looking forward to the closeout sale... they have some late 90's Crate Flexwave amps (still at list price) in the window that would be great for holding down tarps in the garage.

i think that every big town has one or two of those. we have 2 or 3. i don't bother going to them at all. and they all act the same way. full retail price for stuff that 4 years old and smug and snarky about it.

Back