Played some nice acoustics today...

Kerouac

weird musical dildo
Was over at my mum's house waiting for a package to be delivered that needed a signature, so I decided to go raid my stepdad's guitar closet. I played:

Martin OM-28
OM-28_x.jpg

National M-14
1.jpg

1.jpg

Santa Cruz D
model-d-1.jpg

Collings 0002H

174_1.jpg

My favourite of them was the Collings, which is a good thing because that's the one he left me in his will. :love: Unfortunately it was getting a bit of fret sprout because he doesn't have a humidifier in there with it, so I'm going to have to let him check in on it. He doesn't play it very much, which is a shame because it's a beautiful sounding instrument. The one he plays most is the OM-28 and while it played really nicely, it still seems a bit stiff. The National is a round neck with medium action, so even though I didn't have a slide handy I could still play around on it... sounded great for some fingerpicked blues, just liked you'd expect.

The big surprise of the day was the Santa Cruz... he had a different one a few years ago that was a nice guitar but sounded stiff and really boomy. The one he has now is AMAZING. It had the best set-up, a perfectly shaped neck, and sounded exactly like a good vintage dread would. If it sounds that good now, I wonder how it will sound five or six years from now! :eek:

Sweet guitars!

Does your step-dad play guitar a lot?

He took a retirement package and I think for the last six months he practiced a lot more... but then he went back to consulting as soon as his six month waiting period was off. He has ad a lot of nice guitars over the years... high end Taylors, a few PRS electrics, Larrivees, and even a Froggy Bottom for awhile. He normally ends up selling them because he says they're too nice for his playing. I haven't heard him actually play anything in 10+ years, but at that point he played like a beginner and had already been playing for a decade. I've offered to show him some things or come play with him, but he always says no.

Are you in your stepdad's will? :grin:

Yes. The Collings is mine someday. I'm tempted to forgo any cash that might come my way and just ask for the Santa Cruz too... :idea:

The Collings is mine someday. I'm tempted to forgo any cash that might come my way and just ask for the Santa Cruz too... :idea:

Here's what you do. You keep your eye out for a low-end Santa Cruz with water and structural damage. When you find one, you buy it, you put it in your closet, and you wait.

Then, when it's time, you go to your mother's place, you swap the guitars, and you go home.

Back