played a Vox AC4 today

Help!I'maRock!

Mediocringly Derivative
Pretty cool amp for $350. Unfortunately, the hand wired version next to it had almost no output, so it was difficult to make a direct comparison between the two.

What caught me about the Vox is that it's very obviously not trying to be anything but an apartment amp. Yeah, it can get much louder than necessary and you could easily annoy the neighbors. But it stays clean if you want it to, it has lots of distortion if you want it to, and seems like it was built as a pedal platform.

The PRS SE24 I played through it felt good. I'd probably go for a Reverend in that price range, but in competing for wall space with Epiphone, Fender, Ibanez, and Schecter; it sits well in that mix.

But as far as the amp goes, Vox has been and should continue selling pallets full of them to bedroom rockers everywhere.

I haven't tried that amp but I did play a few AC15's before I bought the Holland and I think they are pretty great for the cash too. Definitely would buy before any Fender other than maybe the 1968 Deluxe fake reissue.

The AC4 is cool, and I assume you played the AC4C1-12 version if the price was $350. Debating that one myself, although AMS has the Fender Excelsior Pro this week for $299.

AFA the AC4HW1 is concerned, I played one of those, too, and it's on a whole other level entirely - better speaker, cab, a low/high input and a hot/cool switch add a lot of versatility and punch. It costs twice as much as the AC4C1-12, but is almost that good.

I have the older AC4TV8. The big difference between this and the 10" version, besides the 8" speaker, is that the built-in attenuator has the lowest step set at 1/10 of a watt instead of 1/4. I tried them side-by-side and the volume difference was actually significant. The other steps were the same. I could crank the shit out of it when my kid was an infant and he wouldn't hear it in his crib. LOL Now that amp is going to be his when he starts playing.

I'm sure @Wyatt and @wagdog know the differences in the circuits between mine and the newer AC4.

Reactions: Tig
No, I am never settled...:embarrassed:. Still have the C30, but it doesn't mean I'm permanently attached to it :snooty:.

The AC4C1-12, with a larger cab and speaker, makes all the difference in the world compared to the 8 and the 10/C1. Definite improvement over the boxiness of the latter two, and there is actually a bit of low end. From what I've researched, throw in some new tubes and a greenback/alnico blue of some sort, and you get real close to AC4HW1 territory for much less.

I played both a Tele and a LP through one over about two hours during different visits to GC, and it is a great, small tubey amp that won't make the others in the household bitchy.

I have the older AC4TV8. The big difference between this and the 10" version, besides the 8" speaker, is that the built-in attenuator has the lowest step set at 1/10 of a watt instead of 1/4. I tried them side-by-side and the volume difference was actually significant. The other steps were the same. I could crank the shit out of it when my kid was an infant and he wouldn't hear it in his crib. LOL Now that amp is going to be his when he starts playing.

I'm sure @Wyatt and @wagdog know the differences in the circuits between mine and the newer AC4.

That is pretty cool.
I also like the AC4C1 1x10 for the gain, bass, treble, & volume controls. I'd use the external speaker out for my 12" cab. Sweetwater has the new 2 tone version:
AC4TVTT-xlarge.jpg

and blue
AC4C1BL-xlarge.jpg

Back