Played a very challenging gig last night

Scott Powell

Blackmore Wannabe
We played a 60th Birthday/retirement party for the mother of one of my co-workers last night. it was at a failry posh Golf Club and I knew going in this was going to be tough for a number of reasons.
I knew we would be playing to people who never really experience live music, are older,and would be stone cold sober.

I brought one small powered main for the FOH,and two monitors for the singer and I. I didnt mic drums,bass or guitar, only vocals.the ceiling was small, the walls were 50%glass and the room was very reflective.
From the start we were "too loud" and the first set was very uphill.I set my amp to 5 watts and had the volume on 3. I pulled the Main down at the board and had the drummer use brushes. it was very very limp but we got thru

The second and third sets we finally kinda sorta won them over,and at. the end of the night even had some people dancing.I liked the fact that i was challenged as its EASY to set up in a bar and just rock out. It was a pain in some ways but i really like overcoming adversities. The host LOVED us and I think i may have some more gigs from it

Next time fuck 'em. Turn it to 11!!! :mad::mad::mad:

DieHard_146Pyxurz.jpg

It's always best in those situations to start quieter than they expect. It's better to be asked to turn up that turn down on a gig like that. And once people are acclimated to the idea of live entertainment if you gradually creep up as the crowd gets into it things are fine.

Makes me wonder who was the person who thought a live rock band would be good for that audience :shrug:

I dont think they realized the volume live drums can have
It's always best in those situations to start quieter than they expect. It's better to be asked to turn up that turn down on a gig like that. And once people are acclimated to the idea of live entertainment if you gradually creep up as the crowd gets into it things are fine.

I sound checked us at such a low volume i thought it would be quiet enough,evidently not lol . I think alot of the problem was they had us start too early. They sat everyone down to eat at 630 and had us start then. I tried talking the host into letting us start at 7-715 ,but she thought they would like to hear music while they ate. It all turned out ok, just took a bit to get there

Back