Played a bunch of instruments at GC today.

Kerouac

weird musical dildo
I went to meet a student and her dad so they could pick her out a new acoustic. We played about seven different instruments today before settling on a Recording King 0 model. We played two other RKs of the same model number and this one was leaps and bunds better. We also played a couple of OM Breedloves, Taylor GS Minis, a couple of Yamahas and some Seagulls. What was really shocking was that one of the Taylor Minis (mahogany model) was TERRIBLE. It's honestly the first completely shitty Taylor I've ever played. It came down to the RK and a Yamaha F700s, which was an OM. I liked the sound of the Yamaha just a bit better, but the RK played better and was easier for her to hold. Even better, it was on sale lower than it was tagged, so everyone was really happy... It was one of those, cases where you should try everything in your price range, because you never know what might surprise you!

Now, I got to ya some stuff for myself too. Played a couple of mediocre sounding Martin Ds and Gibson Js. Lashed a very nice Breedlove OM in the $1400 range. Played a sweet little Taylor 210 that sounded much better thN the other two hanging next to it. There were four pretty cool instruments though... a used Gretsch resonator that was all red, a Gitane gypsy jazz box, a 1960 Gibson LG0 and a nearly matching 1960 TG0, which is a tenor model. The Gretsch was a bit unusual sounding, but it played well and sounded cool, albeit not as in your face as a National. The Gitane sounded great, but I don't have the chops to do anything special with it... The flattened neck carve was wild though. I actually dig old ladder braced guitars, so the Gbsons were my favourite. I really wish I could afford to snag that tenor, because it was soooooo cool. I'm not well versed in the genre, but I pulled out a facsimile of some ragtime playing and just had a blast. They're asking $999 which seems a little high and they won't negotiate on their vintage stuff.

Fun way to kill a few hours :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very cool!

It is amazing that you can pull 3 different (but same model) guitars off the wall, and all of them play and sound different.

Very cool!

It is amazing that you can pull 3 different (but same model) guitars off the wall, and all of them play and sound different.

Especially when you're talking about a $200 guitar. It would good enough I would have picked it up.

I have fun at GC doing exactly what you did. I won't buy another acoustic but I do like perusing the store. Funny how the so-called PacRim quality is bruising the traditional top shelf American brands these days. CNC quality is becoming hard to beat.

I've done similar testings when shopping. The GS Mini won me over so I traded my A&L for it.

I also like to like to grab a few different acoustic guitars, ignore the price, and see what sounds the best. Unfortunately, the best in both recent tests ended up costing over three grand!

Last edited:
When I bought my CVC tele, there was a significant difference between units as well. Most of which would be fixed by doing a set up. But still. Just the result of mass production of lower cost instruments I guess.

Sounds like a fun afternoon though! And I am sure your student and the Dad appreciated it.

Back