Planning to do a half marathon on Feb 5, 2012 in Huntington Beach

Modern Saint

Starve your Fear, Feed your Dream!
I am not a runner but a walker but this past week I got an email from the American Heart Association looking for individuals interested in either walking, jogging or running a full or half marathon. After contemplating about it this past week I decided to go for it and attended the start up training event they had yesterday. This one of those bucketlist items I that I wanted to do but never thought about doing as I know I wouldn't last 26 miles for one because I am not a runner and have a bad wheel (partially torn right knee). But.....I can walk and since they have a half marathon, go for it!!! Besides, this will help my personal fight on diabetes as well. I lost my father back in 1979 due to congestive heart failure and my mother will be 92 in January 2012. She is a survivor of a triple bypass 5 years ago so it does run in the family. With my age matching the number of my home states entry in the US, this was a good time to just do eet. I will keep every posted of my progress as I venture closer to the actual event. Frankly I am quite excited about it all. Now as I begin to train, I also have to get sponsers for the AHA as part of the program - well worth it for a great cause. :grin:

:thu: Right on, Randy... I wish I could run again, but I stick with walking and bicycling... Still 13 miles is a good walk, so be sure to work up to it... I'm sure I could walk 13 miles today, no problem... The problem would kick in the next day!

:thu: Right on, Randy... I wish I could run again, but I stick with walking and bicycling... Still 13 miles is a good walk, so be sure to work up to it... I'm sure I could walk 13 miles today, no problem... The problem would kick in the next day!

Thanks bro. That is the plan and the AHA has a ramp up day to day training program to participants prepare for the half marathon. It was very enlightening as some of the volunteers have overcome strokes and heart disease and have finished and continue to participate - very enlightening

best of luck!

I could do the walk, I think.
but like Paul said, I'd pay for it the next day.
bad knees, hips...old before me time, I tells ya.

but I'd give 'er a go if there was something like that 'round these parts.

Excellent! I used to run a pretty fast half marathon back in the day. Not a great runner anymore, but you inspire me to run, walk or crawl with what I can do now rather than bemoan past glory days. Good on ya!

best of luck!

I could do the walk, I think.
but like Paul said, I'd pay for it the next day.
bad knees, hips...old before me time, I tells ya.

but I'd give 'er a go if there was something like that 'round these parts.

Dude, I have the same issues but man we only live once. Besides my birthday follows two days later so I will take the day off for additional recover day. It'll be a blast as Dave mentioned. The goal is to finish!!! Woo-Hooo!!!

Yeah, 13 miles is still a good walk. Build up to it. You can do it, but don't expect to just show up and do without a little bit of training.

Yeah, 13 miles is still a good walk. Build up to it. You can do it, but don't expect to just show up and do without a little bit of training.

The American Heart Association is the group that I am training with so I am in good hands. We have our daily responsibilties in regards to our own training (scheduled) and every Saturday morning we have a group training day so it is all good. Not just running out there blind saying I can do this - lol.

Also now I am getting sponsors who are interested in supporting me as well. All good for the AHA!

That sounds like a great thing Saint. I hope you find that you love it and will continue to do even more. Once you've done a half, you'll realize that there's really not that much more of a challenge to doing a full one, and so on and so on.

Be great and Be Healthy my friend.

That sounds like a great thing Saint. I hope you find that you love it and will continue to do even more. Once you've done a half, you'll realize that there's really not that much more of a challenge to doing a full one, and so on and so on.

Be great and Be Healthy my friend.

Thanks Mrs. P!

Back