Planning ahead, pedalboard shenanigans. Recommendations please.

Dexter Inferno

Serious error
So main plan this summer is building a serious pedal rig using a loop switcher (either the GigRig G2 or the new Roland ES8).

What I need is overdrive, distortion and 2 boosters. Furthermore, reverb, delay, chorus, phaser, univibe type effects.

What I have is the TC Dark Matter for the distortion, and the 2 boosters (Analogman Beano and TC Spark Mini). Thinking the Strymon Timeline and HOF for delay/reverb. So I need some recoms on OD, phaser and vibe fx that will work well with what I already have. Style would be anything from blues to heavy metal, with loads of pop and prog stuff in between.

Key is that what I go with needs to either have distributors in Norway, or like analogman ship to Norway with direct ordering from their site. So no weirdo boutique brands that you can only get in the US.

Note: not nearly as picky as Howie and Chad. :tongue:

As it is, I now have to use 2 boards every gig, the small pedalboard with gain/distortion/wah and the Roland ME80 for time based/lead boost. I really want to cut it down to one board with as little tap dancing as humanly possible. Obviously the ME80s drive options are less than perfect :wink:

Hit me!

Good descriptions of tones available, or videos please,
Most likely won't have the chance to try anyone of the pedals named out due to location.

I love my Strymon Möbius for modulation stuff like chorus, phaser, tremolo, rotary speaker and whatnot and it's pretty tailor made for a switching system. I've just added an expression pedal to it and I use it for my wah now too.

I love my Strymon Möbius for modulation stuff like chorus, phaser, tremolo, rotary speaker and whatnot and it's pretty tailor made for a switching system. I've just added an expression pedal to it and I use it for my wah now too.

Midi controllable I suppose?

Yeah. I'm thinking of getting an Eventide H9 to cover the effects that this doesn't do and running them together via midi

Cool. Strymon pedals are ridiculously expensive, but look like they're worth it.
I still have a problem with paying over 100 bucks for a pedal to be honest :wink:

AFAIK, Axe-Fx is coming out with a floor processor. That would handle everything you could throw at it.

Last edited:
Cool. Strymon pedals are ridiculously expensive, but look like they're worth it.
I still have a problem with paying over 100 bucks for a pedal to be honest :wink:
The $400 I spent on the Möbius replaced at least $500 worth of individual pedals. It actually saved me money :tongue:

Last edited:
The cheap but good sounding highly flexible and readily modifiable (built that way with an extra door to get to the IC) OD that I was about to recommend seems to be not available anymore. Sorry.

unless you can find it under the Akai brand. The TS type one with the three way switch.

Edit: this one. But the 30 I paid was a lot better for an experiment than 60, but it is a good one, Gearmandude reviewed the green one from GFS. I like mine.

http://www.muziker.de/gitarren/gita...ive-Stompbox?gclid=CPqZxu_0tsUCFa_LtAodXEEAaA

Last edited:
Great, now I am lumped in with Howie. :grin:

For reverb, I love my Strymon. I don't know if you can get Mojo Hand FX over their but I am really digging their Nebula IV phaser. For delay, if you want a Pink Floyd style delay, the Catalinbread Echorec is the only choice. I really like the videos of the Strymon stuff.

The cheap but good sounding highly flexible and readily modifiable (built that way with an extra door to get to the IC) OD that I was about to recommend seems to be not available anymore. Sorry.

unless you can find it under the Akai brand. The TS type one with the three way switch.

Edit: this one. But the 30 I paid was a lot better for an experiment than 60, but it is a good one, Gearmandude reviewed the green one from GFS. I like mine.

http://www.muziker.de/gitarren/gita...ive-Stompbox?gclid=CPqZxu_0tsUCFa_LtAodXEEAaA
Pretty sure the Akai pedals are just re-branded Biyangs. Sure do look the same. They seem to run in the $40-$50 range. The Biyang has the same door and even ships with multiple op-amps to swap out on the board socket.

http://www.donnerdeal.com/x-drive-d...-pedal-biyang-od-8-true-bypass-aluminium.html

qPQC.d3od_stompbox.jpg

OD8-500x500_1024x1024.jpg

Pretty sure the Akai pedals are just re-branded Biyangs. Sure do look the same. They seem to run in the $40-$50 range. The Biyang has the same door and even ships with multiple op-amps to swap out on the board socket.

http://www.donnerdeal.com/x-drive-d...-pedal-biyang-od-8-true-bypass-aluminium.html

qPQC.d3od_stompbox.jpg

OD8-500x500_1024x1024.jpg

Exactly, I was just trying to find a EU supply chain.

I like mine a lot as I said, very flexible. TS does as it suggests, Bright sounds like a plexi, around 4 on the gain about nails Malcolm Young on "Ride On" about 7 nails Angus. And Warm is more high gained and fatter. The only drawback is to get cleaner boost you have to do that on Bright which leaves out the option of a fat boost. Tons of headroom though. Like Holy shit levels.

Great, now I am lumped in with Howie. :grin:

For reverb, I love my Strymon. I don't know if you can get Mojo Hand FX over their but I am really digging their Nebula IV phaser. For delay, if you want a Pink Floyd style delay, the Catalinbread Echorec is the only choice. I really like the videos of the Strymon stuff.

Well, you're a pedal whore. :helper:

As for delay, I'm going to need something a bit more flexible. Tap tempo and recallable presets at least.
At the moment I must admit the Flashback X4 is the most tempting. Don't think I can swing 2 Strymons in short succession, those bastards aren't exactly cheap. :embarrassed:

My Brigadier was here before I opened and they needed a signature so I won't see it until next week :(

I should clarify btw. The recallable presets thing is much because of the Queen tribute band, where I have a couple of songs that need the exact ms value (such as the Brian May solo spot with 800 and 1600ms repeats). And then there's songs like A Kind of Magic where I use a bunch of delay, in addition to my usual settings with other bands.

I should clarify btw. The recallable presets thing is much because of the Queen tribute band, where I have a couple of songs that need the exact ms value (such as the Brian May solo spot with 800 and 1600ms repeats). And then there's songs like A Kind of Magic where I use a bunch of delay, in addition to my usual settings with other bands.
If I were in a group like that or I had to play a bnch of U2 (or contemporary Christian rock, which is essentially the same thing) I would just own a Timeline. I don't need the presets like that though. And I can get an outboard button that will let me swap back to a default setting if I want to.

If I were in a group like that or I had to play a bnch of U2 (or contemporary Christian rock, which is essentially the same thing) I would just own a Timeline. I don't need the presets like that though. And I can get an outboard button that will let me swap back to a default setting if I want to.

Yeah, I know. I just can't afford both the Timeline and Mobius as well as the switching unit at once though.
That's about 2k over here! :eek: That's a very good guitar. :embarrassed:

So I suppose I have to decide what's more important right now :embarrassed:

Update: Flashback X4 and HOF mini incoming. Ordered today :embarrassed:

Mobius, bigger board and switcher in June. I was sold on the Mobius after watching a few vids. :embarrassed:

Still undecided on OD pedal, checked some vids of the AKAIs...and didn't really like the sound of them, sounded very thin/shrill (but that could the recording/video quality).
Suppose I want something a bit more "transparent" that doesn't change much eq wise from the clean sound when engaged (I got the Beano for the more coloured sound).
Doesn't need much gain btw, as I already have the distortion covered. "Blues" breakup up to decent crunch is enough. Good tips are welcomed. :wink:

Looks like this should be done in about a couple of weeks :)

If you want something "transparent" there is always the Pedal Monster's Klone. I'm not sure they ship to you though but it is a really nice pedal that adds a little dirt without really altering your sound. It really just sounds like you cranked the gain a little bit on your amp without increasing the volume.

Back