Places you want to go musically....

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
Where do you want to grow? Ive been on this crazy bender of Bluegrass, Jazz and Chicago blues lately. Not sure what it will net me but thats half the fun I guess....

Interstellar Space
bootsy_collins89054893.jpg

I would like to get back into my old time country blues fingerstyle thing on the acoustic and take it further this time. I would also like to learn more slide.

I am interested in really "scaling it back" and try to get the flavor of simple guitar playing/picking down.

Sort of in the genre of folk/Americana/simple bluegrass type stuff. What I would like to call "Roots" music.

Maybe with a blend up of some Celtic folk type stuff.

Think of groups like the Civil Wars or some of the early simple Scots-Irish traditionals that were brought over with the settlers. That sort of vibe.

I really need a separate acoustic that I can leave in an alternate tuning in addition to your standard EADGBE.

Reactions: Tig
I am thinking of reviving my solo acoustic stuff again. Maybe trying to write a few more original songs. Problem is I never like anything I write. Playing wise I just need to start playing again. Learn a few more songs. I just feel very restricted in my current living arrangement. I need to start playing anyways....

I am looking at filling out what I have been doing; keeping the same flavor but adding more sounds to it. I will have a friend at the church playing lead guitar for two songs at our Peace Day concert, and I may have some friends from a Grateful Dead cover band back me up on several songs on a recording and maybe for some live dates. I can do a lot in adding to recordings, but I want to bring some of that to the stage, and that has been harder.

Long time goal would be metal a la COB. Or even hair metal. :embarrassed:

Short term goal would be solid rhythm playing, which @Mark Wein is already helping with :tongue:

Definitely bluegrass and jazz, but really just in service of quality tunes. David Grisman's Dawg music is just about there stylistically (certainly not traditional bluegrass and not quite, but damned close to, gypsy jazz). Really, it's acoustic instrumentation that has had my ear for the better part of the last two decades. But then I'll throw on some Soundgarden and want to plug in...for a bit.

Back