Pine Apple Slim scores another guitar gig

Pine Apple Slim

Kick Henry Jackassowski
The 50s-60s girl group is on hiatus. Played one gig with them and we havnt practiced since. The leader says the 2 gals just won't rehearse so he quit scheduling gigs. He keeps talking about putting another oldies group together but so far nothing has come of it.
My Americana bunch has hung it up for the time being as well.(I was the bass player in that group). The lead singer and songwriter got some gal pregnant and married her, rug rat on the way. Guess he'll have some slice of life material there but for now he's laying low.

So what's the new group? Man I get the weirdest auditions. This is a 9 piece vocal quartet in the style of the Oak Ridge Boys, Statler Bros, etc. All older guys and they are GOOD. 4 singers. The baritone singer plays a bit of 12 string, and the keys/synth guy plays a bit of rhythm and has been playing the lead guitar parts...pretty badly. So my job is lead guitarist and as soon as I learn the songs he will prob stay on keys most of the time. Bassist and drummer are top notch. Also have a good piano player.

They play a mixture of Southern Gospel, Classic Country, and 60s Rock. There are basically 2 types of gigs, churches and festivals/corporate. Right now I'm working thru the Gospel/church set list. Gig next Sun night.
The Sun night church gigs come around more often and I'm told pony up well with the love offerings cause these guys can light em up. Im told to expect 3-5 festivals or corporate parties next spring & summer. They average a church gig about one Sun night per month.

Pluses- I can see this could be lucrative here in Bleeds Red Bible Belt Trumpland.
-Most of these songs I've heard all my life, esp the Gospel #s.
-Really good musicians and singers who've been there done that with just about all genres of popular music and jazz since the late 60s.
-As far as I can tell are decent guys. Fun loving, sense of humor. They seem to be sincere Christians but not in your face about it. I got the gig solely on my playing not where or if I go to church. They didn't even ask me about my beliefs, only if I minded playing churches.

Minuses-
Some of the songs I wouldn't give a downbeat if it came on my radio.
PTBAA Lee Greenwood for example, or some of the Alabama material.
But I can suffer for my art when there's an appreciative audience and money involved.

Last edited:
Might actually be fun. Anything that gets you playing on a regular basis is a good thing. Have fun.

I used to have a steady church gig that payed really well. They were trying to do a contemporary thing. The quote from King of the Hill comes to mind. "You're not making Christianity any better, you're just making rock and roll worse." Minus the Lee Greenwood, this one sounds like it would be way more fun.

1st gig went well. This week we're working on secular stuff.

Fire
Hanging On
It Takes A Little Rain to Make Love Grow
Looking for Love
Love Song
Mountain Music
Rock and Roll Is Here To Stay
Sweet Home Alabama
The Blessings
The Class of '57
This Crazy Love
Trying To Love 2 Women
Woke Up In Love With You
Wonderful Tonight

1st gig went well. This week we're working on secular stuff.

Fire
Hanging On
It Takes A Little Rain to Make Love Grow
Looking for Love
Love Song
Mountain Music
Rock and Roll Is Here To Stay
Sweet Home Alabama
The Blessings
The Class of '57
This Crazy Love
Trying To Love 2 Women
Woke Up In Love With You
Wonderful Tonight
No Neil Diamond yet? Kinda surprising given how popular his music remains esp in the south.

Back