Pickup shootout - Gretsch Filter'Tron vs. TV Jones Classic (audio inside)

smurfco

Meatus McPrepuce
I got a (used) set of TV Jones Classic pickups to put in the Gretsch Bo Diddley (the rectangle guitar). I was mostly bored, the stock pickups were fine, but I got a good deal on these and I'd always heard great things about TV Jones so I figured why not?

So I recorded a demo, before-and-after. I changed nothing between the takes - guitar settings, amp settings, mic placement, I kept it all as consistent as I possibly could. The only difference is the old strings vs. new strings but I didn't want to burn a pack of strings to do a true 100% match. Fender DRRI (at apartment levels) -> Shure SM57 -> Tascam DP008EX, no effects.

Anyways here it is - let me know if you can tell a difference. Honestly I can, but not a huge one. I go through all three pickup positions, first playing rhythm and then playing a lead lick. And as always forgive my rather clumsy playing.

Definitely a difference. I only listened to the rhythm parts because I'm watching the bulls game but I can hear a definite difference, especially the bridge pickup. Neither sounds bad but the TV has more jangle. Could it have more to do with the strings than the pickups? No idea but the TV Jones sounded better to me and keep in mind I consider myself to have the ears of a caveman especially compared to the crystal lattice cult on forums like TGP.

Hearing them through my speakers, as opposed to the headphones I was recording with, yes I hear a much bigger difference. The new strings might have something to do with it, however, the old strings really weren't that old.

To my ears, the difference in tone is slight, but the difference in clarity is dramatic, with the TV Jones winning out. I love my new 5420 with the Gretsch Blacktop Filtertrons, and I probably wouldn't change those pickups, but I will certainly being putting TV Jones pickups in the 5120.

Thanks for the shootout smurfco!

Reactions: Tig
I have a la cabronita that will be at Pragestock with TV classics. This is getting a powertron and 2 p90s, all TV jones.

71301cd6af9a10dc1a8fdaa9bc5aa9af.jpg

244f4b77746997723bffe71ab9029451.jpg

4edc21976c333046db1ab9816145adc3.jpg

I put Brian Setzer signature TV Jones pickups in my Gretsch Bo Diddley and man it sounds a whole lot better. Lots more growl and spark... Thanks for the post!
You did them in the Bo Diddly too? It was a massive improvement in your other Gretsch.

We need to start a Bo Diddley club.

Yes I agree... and Mark loves that guitar when I bring it in for a lesson... Or maybe not based on his deep sigh and various grunts. That shape is not for everyone but I love it. I have band practice tonight and have not played it for a long time due to an injury but back in the saddle now and looking forward to beatin on it tonight!

TV Jones Classics are nice pickups (my old Brian Setzer Hot Rod had them), so are the Gretsch HS FilterTrons, that my Country Club has. TV Jones have a bit more vintage twang to them, which is why the Chet Atkins nuts, and rockabilly cats like them so much. IMO (and I know others who feel the same way), the regular Gretsch HS FilterTrons sound better for rock and jazz (they sound a little darker, and less twangy). So, while I like TV Jones pickups, I have decided to stick with the HS FilterTrons in my Country Club, since I they do the business for the rock I usually play (I'm not really into twangy musical styles), and the jazz I occasionally play.

Back