People that diss pop music...(rant)

THIS is my biggest problem with today's music...

...and the general population of sheep just eat it up.

Marshall McLuhan talks about the media and marketing and it was relayed to me several times over the years that he stated:

"The masses are asses"

It turns out the this origin of this statement is attributed to none other than Alexander Hamilton.

But here are some good McLuhan quotes:

- Every society honors its live conformists and its dead troublemakers.

- Art is anything you can get away with.

- All media work us over completely.

This is fun version of song Britney made famous though:

It's fun given the musicians covering, but still not a great song for me. According to Wikipedia it took four people to write this thing...seriously?

This is an amazing song, that was written by these same folks:

That I can listen to over and over again...as I already have and will do again in the future. Toxic...not so much.

Former A&R person here. Please feel free to tell me -- and let's stress this important detail -- how shite certain 'pop machine' individuals / artists / etc. are based on your personal experience or empirically true info.

Because, to be blunt, a lot of you have simply regurgitated tired tropes that got their origin from some bad bar band's resentment that they're not rich and famous and taking their pick of groupies.

So, please tell me in verifiable detail how you know who is exactly writing what in Taylor Swift's songs.

I've known / been around plenty of very successful artists and producers (Grammies, platinum sales ... remember those?), and it's simply a joke how naysayers simply project their own neuroses on to situations. As an example, I have an ex-girlfriend who is one of the nicest, most generous people I know, and every now and then I encounter scenesters talking about what a bitch / greedy jerk / etc. she is. Well, see, no she's not. That's just your fantasy of her.

Even more transparent and hideous are those who pretend that their exalted tastes, as supposedly informed as they are, somehow represent some objective truth about music.

Here is the objective truth about music: it's a mode of communication. Don't mean to harm the fragile egos, but there's no intrinsic value whatsoever in a 'tasteful, technically proficient' solo. It's how you make people feel. Some folks have it, some don't. Don't kid yourself that something's 'better' outside of your own personal preference.

Then, of course, there's the idea of making money from music. Seems people have a need to crap all over those who did better at it than they did.

Way to ruin the bitch-fest Danhedonia.
Nice job...cant we complain about other's musical success without being called out on it?
Lol

Former A&R person here. Please feel free to tell me -- and let's stress this important detail -- how shite certain 'pop machine' individuals / artists / etc. are based on your personal experience or empirically true info.

Because, to be blunt, a lot of you have simply regurgitated tired tropes that got their origin from some bad bar band's resentment that they're not rich and famous and taking their pick of groupies.

So, please tell me in verifiable detail how you know who is exactly writing what in Taylor Swift's songs.

I've known / been around plenty of very successful artists and producers (Grammies, platinum sales ... remember those?), and it's simply a joke how naysayers simply project their own neuroses on to situations. As an example, I have an ex-girlfriend who is one of the nicest, most generous people I know, and every now and then I encounter scenesters talking about what a bitch / greedy jerk / etc. she is. Well, see, no she's not. That's just your fantasy of her.

Even more transparent and hideous are those who pretend that their exalted tastes, as supposedly informed as they are, somehow represent some objective truth about music.

Here is the objective truth about music: it's a mode of communication. Don't mean to harm the fragile egos, but there's no intrinsic value whatsoever in a 'tasteful, technically proficient' solo. It's how you make people feel. Some folks have it, some don't. Don't kid yourself that something's 'better' outside of your own personal preference.

Then, of course, there's the idea of making money from music. Seems people have a need to crap all over those who did better at it than they did.

I'm a music fanatic and would have been musician (got a little degree and everything). My personal experience is the countless hours I've spent listening to all types of music. But I never pursued music as a career. I have absolutely no neuroses regarding music and the success of artists, just a lack of appreciation for the artistic merit of modern popular music and the how the industry churns it out and has taken so much of artistry out of the process. It's overly calculated and processed, there's very little that's natural about it. And my ears have not appreciated it...and this is important, my ears didn't enjoy it before I knew anything about the modern process. I find the most of the hugely popular music of the last decade (+) soulless.

As to the empirical notion, it was partially tongue-in-cheek and partially about how much time i've spent listening and thinking about the music. Not dissecting it so much as actively listening and noting what I do and don't like. I keep my ears open and realize that as a fan/listener there is no formula that makes me like or dislike music...it's the sound in the moment. And generally once I really like something, it stays liked.

As for any notion that any of us have exalted tastes that somehow represent any objective truth...talk about projecting neuroses.

We are the consumers of the product you've had a hand in creating. Some of the folks here are even creators! We get to have opinions and they are no more of less valid than yours. You should obviously have a certain perspective on the industry, but that doesn't make your judgement or assumptions anything other that judgements and assumptions.

So as I've done since as long as I can remember, back to being a little wee little tike, I will freely express my thoughts and feelings about the art I ingest. It's part of the greatness (at times) of this country...we all get to have and share our opinions. I look at music as more than just a mode of communication. It's art, not a text or tweet or email or telegram. I don't care if it's a Daniel Johnston or Mozart, the Beatles or a local bar band, street musicians busking or a show at an arena (or anywhere in between), if it's live or listening while I commute, cook, work, exercise, or whatever. Technical or primitive, female or male, how it's categorized or really even how it's produced...I just like how some of it sounds. It is the closest thing I have to what others have described as a "religious" experience. There's a larger fraction that I don't like the sound of regardless of how it's produced or the skill level of the musicians.

I haven't seen a single post in this thread saying anything was better, just what we like or don't.

The whole jealousy angle is so 13 year-old Harmony Central trolls. I'm not jealous of Beyonce or Swift, but I am hugely envious of Doyle Bramhall II and Derek Trucks. I find Chris Thile to be inspirational whenever he plays or sings a note. However, I am, as clearly stated, sad and sometimes angry about how so many believe Taylor Swift and the like to be amazing, but folks like The Nudes couldn't even sustain their career despite being incredibly talented. Of course I understand that it's all just a crap shoot, as even the most well-planned artist can fail. But I'm not deluded enough believe their is any direct correlation between popularity and sales and quality...and this extends to all art.

Like I said, I'll keep having discussing my constantly evolving and changing opinions with a cool bunch of folks that I've met (initially at HC, but virtually bonded with) here. Sorry if that isn't to your liking...actually, I'm not as it's not my problem.

All that said, it's cool.

Last edited:
I like all of those songs :embarrassed:

but then, I don't hear them very often - if I had to hear them all day every day, I'd probably hate them too. but I don't think it would be the songs, I think it would be the repetition. i.e., I'd hate any song that I had to listen to with that sort of regularity.

Yeah, I think that's basically it. Sheer repetition burnout.

Yeah, I think that's basically it. Sheer repetition burnout.

I can understand super hating current chart pop when you're a high schooler or college kid--because you're stuck in situations where you just cannot escape hearing the same shit over and over in contexts fraught with emotion and angst and questions about identity and whatnot.

It's a little unbecoming when grown-ass people continue this behavior. If you don't like the current pop chart stuff, appropriate adult reactions are probably dismissal or bemusement or ambivalence. The old "Enh, don't care...not for me" sums up plenty of contemporary chart pop. For example, I get that Beyoncé is almost maniacally good at what she does. But, enh.

I like a lot of different music. Music made by musicians for the sake of music. Can be pop music just as much as something else.

I don't like to be force-fed manufactured marketing products.

oh and Mystix, I won't slag you for your music taste, but if I didn't know you were male and I had to guess from your music taste... :grin: :tongue:

I can understand super hating current chart pop when you're a high schooler or college kid--because you're stuck in situations where you just cannot escape hearing the same shit over and over in contexts fraught with emotion and angst and questions about identity and whatnot.

It's a little unbecoming when grown-ass people continue this behavior. If you don't like the current pop chart stuff, appropriate adult reactions are probably dismissal or bemusement or ambivalence. The old "Enh, don't care...not for me" sums up plenty of contemporary chart pop. For example, I get that Beyoncé is almost maniacally good at what she does. But, enh.
We don't much care for appropriate adult reactions around here

I think discussing anything you're passionate about in an adult manner is fine. I don't care much for sports or cars and other things adult males seem to get into, but I absolutely love music. So I sought out forums where people discussed it (at least in part at HC). When they shit the bed this smaller group of actual adults that are able to have conversations and discuss stuff, most of it about music, fit the bill perfectly.

So this is where I can come an talk to other musically minded musician-types about music. Grown ups talking to other grown ups in a respectful manner...when is that ever problem? Except when it's like the klan or nazis organizing some hate crimes or war crimes or generally crimes against humanity with killings and/or genocide and such. Obivously they're allowed to gather and talk about their passions, but we'd be better off if they didn't...and if they weren't into politics at all. :thu:

I think discussing anything you're passionate about in an adult manner is fine. I don't care much for sports or cars and other things adult males seem to get into, but I absolutely love music. So I sought out forums where people discussed it (at least in part at HC). When they shit the bed this smaller group of actual adults that are able to have conversations and discuss stuff, most of it about music, fit the bill perfectly.

So this is where I can come an talk to other musically minded musician-types about music. Grown ups talking to other grown ups in a respectful manner...when is that ever problem? Except when it's like the klan or nazis organizing some hate crimes or war crimes or generally crimes against humanity with killings and/or genocide and such. Obivously they're allowed to gather and talk about their passions, but we'd be better off if they didn't...and if they weren't into politics at all. :thu:

Don't get me wrong, discussion is awesome. Uncritical whining about the way celebrity sausage is made is boring. I'm totally game for breaking down the whys and wherefores of how contemporary pop works. (I'd probably be game for a deep read on lyrics at some point.). But just throwing fits about auto tune and OMG THE INDUSTRY IS FAKE...that's sophomore jollies and no one needs that.

Don't get me wrong, discussion is awesome. Uncritical whining about the way celebrity sausage is made is boring. I'm totally game for breaking down the whys and wherefores of how contemporary pop works. (I'd probably be game for a deep read on lyrics at some point.). But just throwing fits about auto tune and OMG THE INDUSTRY IS FAKE...that's sophomore jollies and no one needs that.

Fits? The only post I saw that fell even close into that realm was from a former industry person.

I amazed that people on forums like this aren't incensed about the fact that you needed any musical ability to have a career as popular musician.I lose zero sleep over it though. The entertainment industry is clearly fake on endless level all around, but for me it's just the quality PER MY OPINION (don't want to get anyone mad by not stating what should always be completely obvious) isn't there. The Jackson 5 were clearly manufactured, but they had some great tunes and Michael had some serious pipes. Justin Timberlake doesn't make any music I like, but I know he can sing, same with Aguilera.

Interestingly, I'm not concerned with lyrics...I just love the sound of the human voice. It's pretty much my favorite instrument. I get in fits about my inability to sing though. It pisses me off.

Oh wait, maybe I can be a pop star!

:l:

Fits? The only post I saw that fell even close into that realm was from a former industry person.

I amazed that people on forums like this aren't incensed about the fact that you needed any musical ability to have a career as popular musician.I lose zero sleep over it though. The entertainment industry is clearly fake on endless level all around, but for me it's just the quality PER MY OPINION (don't want to get anyone mad by not stating what should always be completely obvious) isn't there. The Jackson 5 were clearly manufactured, but they had some great tunes and Michael had some serious pipes. Justin Timberlake doesn't make any music I like, but I know he can sing, same with Aguilera.

Interestingly, I'm not concerned with lyrics...I just love the sound of the human voice. It's pretty much my favorite instrument. I get in fits about my inability to sing though. It pisses me off.

Oh wait, maybe I can be a pop star!

:l:

I'll return to the meat of this in a bit. But first, do you own a fedora?

Let me be clear: after knowing, befriending, and in some cases becoming the (sadly, in hindsight) boy-toy of some people that others like to talk smack about, I just sick of people saying "this and that" (by which I mean "unsupported horseshit projected fantasies") about people I consider friends. If we don't stick up for those we care for, what are we?

As for "my musical taste(s) > your musical taste(s)," I love that, and say: game on. But it's just a game. I get profoundly frustrated when really smart, interesting, otherwise compelling people deny me what I want most: serious convo about ... y'know: bulloney. (By which I mean Ke$ha singles). God, I love her music, once I learned to let go ... by which I mean: do drugs with horny 20-somethings.

The most fucked-up idea about music is that there's some sort of objective truth about it. It's FUN AS FUCK to suggest it, but damnably silly to defend that to a certain point. If playing poker, I see your Spacemen 3 tour flunkie job and raise you a 3am pick-Vaughn-brother jam session with the famous pothead of your choice.

Music is actually about love; and then, about money. Tell yourself different, and you're kidding yourself.

Back