Hot or Not? Pensa

Those Schecters were in the what, 1979-1984 range? Back when Art Shell was still above Rudy's?

Those were sweet guitars. Especially the Townshend teles...

Mark Knopfler played something similar back in the '80s, didn't he? Minus the EMG's and Floyd, of course.

Minus nothing. The one he may be most associated with had a Floyd and white EMG's. IIRC, EMG used to offer a MK set. (Wok beat me to it.) Then there was a sunburst one with three singles and a more traditional trem.
pensmain.jpg

He still tours and uses his Pensa Suhrs (and maybe some Suhr copies). But then he used a dozen or more unique instruments per show.

Minus nothing. The one he may be most associated with had a Floyd and white EMG's. IIRC, EMG used to offer a MK set. (Wok beat me to it.) Then there was a sunburst one with three singles and a more traditional trem.
pensmain.jpg

He still tours and uses his Pensa Suhrs (and maybe some Suhr copies). But then he used a dozen or more unique instruments per show.

I only remember seeing him in pics with the one that had the traditional tremolo. I never knew he played on with a Floyd.

I only remember seeing him in pics with the one that had the traditional tremolo. I never knew he played on with a Floyd.

He had a black flattop one and this carved top one that had Floyds that he just used as bridges. You can see in the image that it's resting on the top and he never used the arm. It was a locking hardtail with fine tuners for Mark. The only time I think he used a trem was on the Brothers In Arms tour when he messed with Steinbergers for a bit. He used it at the show I saw at MSG.

Here's a shot of him playing a more recent Pensa with a Tune-o-matic and stoptail...it also has three single coils:
custom-pensa-guitar-mark-knopfler.jpg

Back