Pedals and low watt amps

SVH917

Kick Henry Jackassowski
I'm new to the concept of drivin tubes and gettin that saturation so do pedals effect the tube saturation

Yes. They often times push the preamp tubes into saturation, depending on the pedals and settings. That is different from the power tube distortion of an amp that has the volume cranked.
Both are typically referred to as overdrive, but power tube distortion is usually considered the more desirable of the two.

There's no doubt the 5150 has much distortion but I don't know the difference of where the distortion come from

There's no doubt the 5150 has much distortion but I don't know the difference of where the distortion come from

well that's what i'm saying. try out the Class 5 and let it distort itself. but by way of comparison, the 5150 is a classic preamp distortion design.

So there's no effects loop on it how do effects sound
Effects loops are meant mainly for modulation effects and what not. Overdrives, fuzzes and distortions sound better in front of the amp. And I have a MXR Micro Chorus, MXR Script Phase 90, Crybaby Wah and TC Electronics Chorus/Pitch Modulator/Flanger and they all sound great through my Class 5.

Low watt Class A amps sound great with analog effects because their so warm and transparent IMO.

And FWIW I've never used an effects loop on my amps, so the modulation effects might sound better through it. It was always just too much hassle running cables back there for me, lol.idn_smilie

I'm a fan of the Mxr stuff, I want
A 234 analog chorus, the phase 90, 117 flanger and a 108 eg

I'm a complete MXR nut. I've tried other pedals and they either don't sound as good, aren't built as well or cost more. And normally the only time the first one and second one aren't true, the third one definitely is, lol.

I'm a complete MXR nut. I've tried other pedals and they either don't sound as good, aren't built as well or cost more. And normally the only time the first one and second one aren't true, the third one definitely is, lol.

I've got time so I'll definitely be checking several amps out as I save some cash to get one. The pedals I'm pretty much already sold on. It's freakin tough cause several sound so good but are so darned expensive.

Yes. They often times push the preamp tubes into saturation, depending on the pedals and settings. That is different from the power tube distortion of an amp that has the volume cranked.
Both are typically referred to as overdrive, but power tube distortion is usually considered the more desirable of the two.

Right! Power tube distortion is what you normally want for decent rock tone. A lot depends on the size of your room and if you're playing in a band. The main difference between a 1W amp to 10W to 20/50/100W is that a bigger amp will be much louder. Great if you are playing an arena, not so much if you are playing in an apartment with neighbors who hate wailing guitars.

Tis the reason that Hot Plates, Airbrakes and other power soak devices are so popular. I have a 20W Hughes & Kettner combo amp, and I'm seriously considering buying a power soak for it. Even at 20W it's plenty loud without the volume cranked. If I want distortion at lower volumes, it's pedal knob twisting time.

Back