Pedal Power

Chad

Slender Hobbit
I am thinking about replacing my one spot with something a little more substantial. What do you guys use for power and do you like it? I will probably end up with 8 or so pedals when my board is done.

Voodoo Labs if you have the coin.
One Spot with the additional multi-plug if on a tight budget.

What do more expensive (and bulkier) power sources do that a one spot doesn't? [honest question, I honestly don't know the answer]

Is it for when your pedals have different power requirements?

What do more expensive (and bulkier) power sources do that a one spot doesn't? [honest question, I honestly don't know the answer]

The one spot is great for small boards not requiring a lot of current. When you start to use high current devices such as Strymon, Line 6, Roland Delays, etc, the One Spot cannot handle the draw. The Pedal Power II also has all of its outputs isolated meaning that the noise produced just from a power supply is greatly reduced. Another great feature - but I don't use it - is that you can dial in two of the outputs for a lower voltage. Think of Eric Johnson and how he liked his pedals to operate on a depleted battery voltage. You can set that channel to a lower voltage to create that constant output. Another good one is that the PPII comes with 18V outputs which is great for devices needing 18 volts instead of 9V. And finally, it has a AC plug in the back of the box so you could run a device that needs a dedicated grounded outlet.

Reactions: Tig

The Pedal Power isolates the power going to each pedal, so it isn't just a daisy chain. It also filters and regulates the power. I see some pedal companies saying not to use their pedals with a shared power supply. I don't know if they can be damaged or if they just sound better running separately.

The Pedal Power isolates the power going to each pedal, so it isn't just a daisy chain. It also filters and regulates the power. I see some pedal companies saying not to use their pedals with a shared power supply. I don't know if they can be damaged or if they just sound better running separately.

Mostly noise - however if one device needs more power instantaneously, the other pedals are affected for that moment due to the current draw demands.

Still rocking the original Mk I Voodoo Labs Pedal Power. Most be at least 15 years old now.

I daisy chain a few pedals out one power jack (for instance, a '70's Dyna-Comp, a TS-9/808 and a '70's Phase 90 all share one 80mA jack), but the isolated power jacks are a godsend with pedals like wahs that do not like to share power.

Still rocking the original Mk I Voodoo Labs Pedal Power. Most be at least 15 years old now.

I daisy chain a few pedals out one power jack (for instance, a '70's Dyna-Comp, a TS-9/808 and a '70's Phase 90 all share one 80mA jack), but the isolated power jacks are a godsend with pedals like wahs that do not like to share power.

I own a One and a Two that I bought off of Mark.

Both are great!!!

Worst thing is dirt pedals, and time based effects on same power supply, not isolated. So, 2 1 spots, or a 1 spot, and a wall wart for your delay accomplishes the most important.

Worst thing is dirt pedals, and time based effects on same power supply, not isolated. So, 2 1 spots, or a 1 spot, and a wall wart for your delay accomplishes the most important.

I've never had an issue running up to 8 pedals, delays and all, off of a One Spot. The only pedals I use a separate power supply for are the Eventide Pitchfactor which draws 1000mA, the Foxrox Paradox TZF which is AC power, and the ThroBak sToneBender because the fucking designer put a resistor into the pedal so people wouldn't daisy chain, or only run off of battery power (and is why I sold the fucking thing).

I own a Dunlop DC Birck, and the Voodoo Lab Pedal Power II. The Pedal Power isolates the outputs, and that's nice for finicky pedals. I find that the DC Brick works pretty good, too, when I'm dealing with primarily the Boss pedals. I also have a 1 Spot that I keep upstairs, and use when I'm practicing in the living room.

I use a OneSpot for my Bad Monkey and a few other "under $50 new" pedals. My Danelectro pedals run off one Dano power supply in the Dano pedalboard (stop giggling!).

Reactions: Tig
I just use a OneSpot as well, but I'm not a gigging musician either. If I were, I'd go for something beefier like the PedalPower.

As far as the OneSpot goes, it's spec'd for 1.7 A max, which means it should run at 1.5 A pretty comfortably. Most non-processing pedals probably only draw about 100-200 mA, so that should power roughly 10-15 pedals without issue. Of course, this ignores any noise issues that may occur from chaining that many pedals together.

Back