Peavy classic 20 head.

jp_nyc

Kick Henry Jackassowski
I’m unhappy with the buzz on my Micro Terror and thinking about buying something nicer. I’m tempted to drop $600 on a used Mesa Transatlantic, but I don’t like amps with no mid knob. The only other little amp that has my attention is the Peavey Classic 20 head, but nobody keeps them in stores. It seems like an incredible amp for the price. Is there anything wrong with these that I should be aware of?

I've never heard one in person. I did like the classic 50 I had a very long time ago. If it were me, I would either get the DSL15, or cough up an extra $100 and get the new Fender Bassbreaker 15 or the AC15 head.

I have never heard a head in person, but really liked a friend's combo. He also has a Classic 30 and a Delta Blues. And I have a C-30. So I might be biased. But the 20 combo was similar in tone and characteristics to my C-30, but in a smaller package with less head room, so I liked it. I have no reason to think a head would not be similar and also nice.

If it were me, I would either get the DSL15, or cough up an extra $100 and get the new Fender Bassbreaker 15 or the AC15 head.

I might dig those if they had the power scaling of the Peavey. With the Peavey I can run at 1 watt when I'm at home.

I might dig those if they had the power scaling of the Peavey. With the Peavey I can run at 1 watt when I'm at home.

I wonder how their power scaling works. Is it removing a tube, changing it from push/pull to single ended? If they take a tube out, will that make the tubes wear unevenly? Depending on what they use it could change the tone of the amp.

All of them have a master volume, while it isn't the exact same, I can say the Vox (I have one) sounds killer at low volume and my DSL50 sounded great with the master down.

Plus I already have an attenuator, so I would just use that.

I believe the DSL15 has 15/7 power scaling, and the DSL40 has 40/20 power scaling. Anyhoo, the new Peavey mini heads are pretty popular; however, being fairly new and MIC, I haven't yet heard about any reliability issues. All I can say is that the old MIA Classic 20 combos are absolutely killer, but I don't know if the share the exact same circuitry with the new lunchboxes.

BTW, the Aurora/Naperville GC store is selling a mint Classic 20 head/cab set for $599:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Peavey/Classic-20-Mini-Stack-Guitar-Stack.gc

I was looking at one of the Peavey Classic 2os before I pulled the trigger on my new de Lisle. They look pretty cool, great features for the price.

Back