Peavey ValveKing 100 head

CBHScott

How did I get here?
Anyone have anything to say about 'em? Got a chance to pick a newish one up dirt effin' cheap.

I know they're not all that highly thought of, but the price is reaaaaaaaaaalllllly good.

quethxbuy

I've never played one personally, but back in 2006-2007 I went to quite a few shows at Harpo's in Detroit. Many of the 'local' bands that came on before the international acts played thru Peavey ValveKings, and they all sounded bad.

It could've been that the local acts didn't get a soundcheck, or the guitarists that used them didn't know how to dial them in idn_smilie But it seemed like every local band that used Marshalls, Mesas, or Engls always sounded better.

I had a 112 combo. It sounded okay for a practice amp alone but didn't have the balls for playing in the band. One major problem I had with it was when you switch from the gain channel back to clean there was a noticeable delay. Playing covers that had clean and dirty sections would have never worked for me. But I guess if you only play with one voice and are plugging a head into a decent cab it would be okay.

Yeah, well I have a line on some other cheapies such as a Marshall MA100h for $199, or various Egnaters for $399 or less...leaning toward a Rebel 30 combo at $399 :eek:

Jut say no to the Valve King. The singer in one of my old bands had one and I couldn't stand the way it sounded. I kept finding reasons to borrow him one of my amps for gigs because the thing just didn't sound good.

never had any luck with Peavey amps
apart from an old 100w something or other that I ran a bass thru in 96

Over the years I've owned a few Peavey amps. I've never had much use for their drive channels but for a Blues/Country player they've got something special on the clean side. I recently picked up a used Valve King 112 and I totally understand why the amp is not well thought of by those who are looking for a great over drive channel. On the other hand for those who are looking for a used $200 all tube amp with outstanding cleans that can put out some pretty good Souther Rock and Mississippi Blues (via pedals) it's a complete winner.

Last edited:
risefromyourgrave.jpg

Back