Peavey Penta Amp

The great thing for using a Classic 30 in your studio is that it doesn't have a standby switch. :grin:

I honestly think the Classic 30 is one of the best values out there. Especially if you buy used.

The great thing for using a Classic 30 in your studio is that it doesn't have a standby switch. :grin:

I honestly think the Classic 30 is one of the best values out there. Especially if you buy used.

Sounds like a plan, then :thu:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's an A/B amp.

That said, I own both a Classic 30 and a Classic 50. You won't get as much gain out of a Classic as you will out of the Valveking, but it's got enough to cover up to a fairly gainy hard rock tone. Not much in the way of metal though. I've gigged both for years with no OD pedal, just using the amp's OD channel in my classic rock cover band and have never needed more gain than the amp delivers. In fact, I usually run the gain at about 3/4 of the way up, so there's more on tap than I really need.

Yeah I did some research on it and decided to keep the Valveking 212 , as many say the clean is better than the Classic 50. It can get close to the Fender Clean with the bright switch. It also has more overdrive so it would be more versatile for me. It has a knob that allows you to mix between Full Class A and Full A/B and everywhere in between- at Class A it runs at about 40w, full A/B at 100w. It is more power than I need but it sounds pretty good at lower volumes - I bought a master volume box for the effects loop so I can push the preamps a bit and manage the overall volume. I do need to make some preamp tube changes to smooth out the distortion a bit - many put 12at7s in a few spots rather than the 12ax7s and really like the results.

Unfortunately I haven't had much time to play with it due to work and such.

I did get pics of that Classic 50 on Craigslist - Its Tweed, comes with a footswitch and cover, and looks to be in general overall good condition, but since its old, not sure if its been modified with the tube holders like the newer ones. Sounds like the tubes haven't been changed in awhile so it may need a new set.

I did get pics of that Classic 50 on Craigslist - Its Tweed, comes with a footswitch and cover, and looks to be in general overall good condition, but since its old, not sure if its been modified with the tube holders like the newer ones. Sounds like the tubes haven't been changed in awhile so it may need a new set.

This is Prages, not Mrs. P. :embarrassed:

The Classic 30 is the one that has the funky tube retainers. Classic 50 tubes are set inside the chassis and are held into place with a padded screwed on cover. No need for a mod there.

I've never modded my Classic 30. I haven't battled tube rattle except when I had a microphonic tube, and I've never broken a tube due to it being so exposed.

I've probably got 100 gigs on the Classic 30.

After 3 weeks I have to say that the students really can't tell the difference between the Penta and the 1964 Silvertone sitting right next to it. :embarrassed:

is that because its good, or because they suck?

I've got it set up for a decent clean sound and they're using pedals into it. It probably sounds better than anything they have at home and most kids and newbie adults look at the Silvertone like it can't be good because its so old.

I need to add that getting students to listen with their ears and not their eyes is a primary challenge of mine....

I've got it set up for a decent clean sound and they're using pedals into it. It probably sounds better than anything they have at home and most kids and newbie adults look at the Silvertone like it can't be good because its so old.

my peavey bandit sounds better than anything my students have at home.

I've still got the chassis to my old Peavey Classic Chorus 212. The speakers are still floating around in my attic too. I don't think I have the cab anymore though.

I probably played 200 gigs or more with that amp, and never had anybody complain about its tone. :embarrassed:

Nice sharing.
I need to add that getting students to listen with their ears
& not their eyes is a primary challenge of mine...
Thanks for sharing beautiful post.

Back