Peavey Classic 30 opinions

shoeless

Riffin'
I've heard good things, but never spent time with one. There's one on my local CL for cheap that is tempting me. If he's still got it, I'll swing by his place tonight to check it out. Anything I should look for, or be wary of?

Well, I heard back from him and will check it out tonight, assuming someone doesn't snatch it before me. $110 for a working Classic 30 is a steal, no?

I like mine quite a bit. I would consider replacing the blue marble speaker with a Celestion of some kind but I don't really feel the need to. The reason to do so would be to tighten up the lower end just a bit. But really it is a nice warm sounding amp that can get really loud and fun.

$110 is a steal.

In fact that's so much of a steal I wonder if it might be hot... as in stolen.

That's way too low for a working Classic 30.

I had a Classic 50 head and it sounded good... I played a Classic 30 at NAMM several years ago and it sounded wonderful.

I have a C30, too. Agree that $110 is a preposterously great price.

I have been happy with mine over the years (although it should be noted that I have not drank from the chalice of the crystal lattice, so my ears are not as finely attuned as others), and many other people have given me positive feedback on its sound. over the years. To me, it has good clean and overdrive channels. Sounds good with pedals. On-board reverb is good. It can get very loud - I don't think I have ever turned it up over 4. Just never turn on the "boost" feature - too ice picky for me.

I have considered replacing the speaker with a Weber Blue Dog because the stock speaker can have kind of muffled quality to it, but I've just never gotten around to doing it.

In fact that's so much of a steal I wonder if it might be hot... as in stolen.

That's way too low for a working Classic 30.

I had a Classic 50 head and it sounded good... I played a Classic 30 at NAMM several years ago and it sounded wonderful.
I was kinda wondering that too. Other than getting a vibe from the seller, any way to check that out? I definitely do not want to buy a stolen amp.

I was kinda wondering that too. Other than getting a vibe from the seller, any way to check that out? I definitely do not want to buy a stolen amp.

Could call a local police station, see if they have any reports of stolen gear.

If you do swing by, ask a bunch of questions and watch the seller's face very carefully... things like the following:

1. Why are you selling the amp?
  2. Is it fully functional?
  3. Where did you get it? What's it's history?
  4. How old are the tubes?
  5. Is the speaker original?
  6. How has it been used?
Etc... if he doesn't know the answers or is "selling it for a friend" and is clueless I'd steer clear.

Let us know what happens!

I owned a Classic 30 years ago that was garbage. However, I have heard others that were very nice. $110 is dangerously cheap.

One of my friends has one, as well as a couple of nice Fender amps including a vintage one, and he keeps coming back the Classic 30 for gigs.
It's just got everything he needs and it sounds great.

for $110 I'd endure the wrath of spouse for one.

Was the seller wearing prison stripes? :zoinks:
Ha ha, quite the contrary. He was a 40-something lawer-ish type living in a McMansion on a couple acres of wooded land in rural Maryland. When I pulled into is driveway, there was a kid's trampoline in the yard and a golf cart in the driveway. He and his 10-12 year old daughter were in the garage waiting for me, with the amp on and a vintage PRS CE-24 plugged in. He let me use that to make sure everything worked OK. I don't think he was selling hot amps for $100 to make side money.

When I asked him how long he had it, he had a hard time remembering exactly how many years when his daughter chimed in with "before I was born". He said was selling it because he's trying to "get rid of clutter around the house", and that he hasn't used it in years. Now he just plays through Amplitube with headphones since he has young kids and doesn't want to make a lot of noise. I can relate to that, I almost sold my twin reverb for a stupid low price many years ago when my kids were that age. I realized the error of my potential ways before I did though.

As far as the amp goes, there's not a scratch on it, obviously never gigged. It still has a sticker on the back with his previous address when he lived in a different town, so I believe he's had it a while.

Anybody know how to tell the age from the serial number?

Ha ha, quite the contrary. He was a 40-something lawer-ish type living in a McMansion on a couple acres of wooded land in rural Maryland. When I pulled into is driveway, there was a kid's trampoline in the yard and a golf cart in the driveway. He and his 10-12 year old daughter were in the garage waiting for me, with the amp on and a vintage PRS CE-24 plugged in. He let me use that to make sure everything worked OK. I don't think he was selling hot amps for $100 to make side money.

When I asked him how long he had it, he had a hard time remembering exactly how many years when his daughter chimed in with "before I was born". He said was selling it because he's trying to "get rid of clutter around the house", and that he hasn't used it in years. Now he just plays through Amplitube with headphones since he has young kids and doesn't want to make a lot of noise. I can relate to that, I almost sold my twin reverb for a stupid low price many years ago when my kids were that age. I realized the error of my potential ways before I did though.

As far as the amp goes, there's not a scratch on it, obviously never gigged. It still has a sticker on the back with his previous address when he lived in a different town, so I believe he's had it a while.

Anybody know how to tell the age from the serial number?

Damn shoeless, great score! Well done!

Back