PBS American Masters takes on Bing

Here is a bit of a glimpse in the context of the Bing/Bowie collab on Little Drummer Boy in 1977.

Bing was a big influence in my house growing up, from my slightly older parents, to my grandparents who were rabid fans. He was I think a big influence in popular music during his time as well. I think it will be interesting to see.

To say that he was a big influence on popular music is an understatement.

I'm going to post an exerpt from the introduction to Gary Giddins's excellent Crosby biography below, but that doesn't really even deal with the fact that he was the first star baritone of the recording era, and the first to take advantage of the microphone; for the first time, you could sing quietly. He was easily one of the most important and most influential male pop vocalists ever, along with a select few like Sinatra and Armstrong.

Anyway:

Popular culture, like sports, is beset with statistics, a fixation on chart and box-office rankings, grosses and salaries, and prizes. But whereas sports statistics live forever, pop stats are ultimately transitory and meaningless - no recitation of past sales figures can incline us to listen to Billy Murray records or to read Lloyd C. Douglas novels or to buy Walter Keane paintings. The only pop stats that continue to matter involve artists who continue to matter.

It is impossible to regard Bing Crosby as a historical figure without considering some of his statistics. If nothing else, they reveal his dominance over popular entertainment from Prohibition until the mid-1950s, when his decline as the nation's preeminent muse was signaled by the comeback of a newly charged Sinatra and the arrival of Elvis - the former marketed to adults, the latter to their children. During Crosby's reign, that split did not exist.

- He was the first full-time vocalist ever signed to an orchestra.
- He made more studio recordings than any other singer in history (about 400 more than Sinatra).
- He made the most popular record ever, "White Christmas," the only single to make American pop charts twenty times, every year but one between 1942 and 1962. In 1998, after a long absence, his 1947 version hit the charts in Britain.
- Between 1927 and 1962 he scored 368 charted records under his own name, plus twenty-eight as vocalist with various bandleaders, for a total of 396. No one else has come close; compare Paul Whiteman (220), Sinatra (209), Elvis (149), Glenn Miller (129), Nat "King" Cole (118 ), Louis Armstrong (85), the Beatles (68 ).
- He scored the most number one hits ever, thirty-eight, compared with twenty-four by the Beatles and eighteen by Presley.
- In 1960 he received a platinum record as First Citizen of the Record Industry for having sold 200 million discs, a number that doubled by 1980.
- Between 1915 and 1980 he was the only motion-picture star to rank as the number one box-office attraction five times (1944-48 ). Between 1934 and 1954 he scored in the top ten fifteen times.
- Going My Way was the highest-grossing film in the history of Paramount Pictures until 1947; The Bells of St. Mary's was the highest-grossing film in the history of RKO Pictures until 1947.
- He was nominated for an Academy Award for best actor three times and won for Going My Way.
- He was a major radio star longer than any other performer, from 1931 until 1954 on network, 1954 until 1962 in syndication.
- He appeared on approximately 4,000 radio broadcasts, nearly 3,400 of them his own programs, and single-handedly changed radio from a live-performance to a a canned or recorded medium by presenting, in 1946, the first transcribed network show on ABC - thereby making that also-ran network a major force.
- He financed and popularized the use of tape, revolutionizing the recording industry.
- He created the first and longest-running celebrity pro-am golf championship, playing host for thirty-five years, raising millions in charity, and was the central figure in the development of the Del Mar racetrack in California.

- He financed and popularized the use of tape, revolutionizing the recording industry.

Ding Bing work with Les Paul on early tape recordings?

Yes, I know it is an understatement. I also expected you would chime in based on some prior discussion here on the forum. Thanks for chiming in with those facts. My exposure is more anecdotal and based on being raised by fans.

To say that he was a big influence on popular music is an understatement.

- He created the first and longest-running celebrity pro-am golf championship, playing host for thirty-five years, raising millions in charity, and was the central figure in the development of the Del Mar racetrack in California.

His reach is long. I am re-reading "Seabiscuit" and was reminded of his interest and involvement in horse racing even in the 30's. Also, I will take him any day of the week over Sinatra. Part of that is my taste in vocals. Part is being raised by my parents who did not really like Sinatra, if I am being really honest.

Yes, I know it is an understatement. I also expected you would chime in based on some prior discussion here on the forum. Thanks for chiming in with those facts. My exposure is more anecdotal and based on being raised by fans.

What can I say? It's a great bit of info and well worth repeating. I searched, and it was from 3-4 years ago; it's not like there's a Crosby thread every other month.

Some of his music and music do stand up, though. His problem might be that there's perhaps too much of it.

I have a Mosaic box set from a few years ago, a 7-disc set that covers his CBS 'live in the studio' performances from the mid-50s, and it's killer.

Sinatra is worth doing surveying, though, even if you only do it quickly. His sound changed a lot from the 30s to the end of the 50s. But despite the obvious similarities, Crosby and Sinatra had very different repertoires.

Last edited:
What can I say? It's a great bit of info and well worth repeating. I searched, and it was from 3-4 years ago; it's not like there's a Crosby thread every other month.

Some of his music and music do stand up, though. His problem might be that there's perhaps too much of it.

I have a Mosaic box set from a few years ago, a 7-disc set that covers his CBS 'live in the studio' performances from the mid-50s, and it's killer.

Sinatra is worth doing surveying, though, even if you only do it quickly. His sound changed a lot from the 30s to the end of the 50s. But despite the obvious similarities, Crosby and Sinatra had very different repertoires.
I was hoping you would chime in, and meant it in that way when I said I guessed you would joint the conversation. You are more up on the details than I am. And, I will at some point do the Sinatra survey you suggest. If only for the knowledge of it. Now that my Dad is gone, I am quite interested in culture and music he experienced.

I like the statement "the first to take advantage of the microphone; for the first time, you could sing quietly." This is what I like about his style, and what I have tried to emulate in my singing, though I am no Bing Crosby.

BOQpbe9CMAImOvN.jpg

Dear God...er,I mean Dear Abby..Or whatever you believe in...

Crosby was and should still be,a phenomenon..

Regroup..................

Flamencology forgot to mention that Bing was the king of Corporal Punishment. Not only did he not spare the rod, he used the biggest rod he could find.

Flamencology forgot to mention that Bing was the king of Corporal Punishment. Not only did he not spare the rod, he used the biggest rod he could find.

No doubt. Though there were conflicting reports among the family w/r/t the extent. A couple of the boys inherited their mother's mental health issues, and turned to drugs on top of it. It's hard to make an accurate pie chart, though I think a clearer picture will emerge in the next couple of years.

IDK. In 2014 eyes, we know better than not to hit our kids, though some barbarians will dismiss the evidence, obviously. That wasn't true of the early half of the 20th century, as my grandparents and great-grandparents used to attest.

But let's not allow overflow...

Do we care if Dean Martin picked his nose and ate it? I know I don't...
If Brad Delp dissected a family pet and ate its organs,would that cause us to not like Boston?

My thoughts on that aged old crap is separate....

Last edited:
I am aware of all of that and intentionally stayed away. We could get into Sinatra and alleged mob connections, marital infidelity, etc. (some of the perceived reasons my parents didn't care for him), but it is much more interesting to stick to the music and influence on music and popular culture.

but it is much more interesting to stick to the music and influence on music and popular culture.

Actually it isn't. I find this kind of duality much more fascinating. Great artists are complex people and it's much more interesting to look at human beings as a whole rather than to parse out the bright and shiny pieces. Just because Miles Davis was a wife beater, Stan Getz was a felon, and Benny Goodman was a jerk doesn't make me love their music any less. I'm much better at separating art and personality than most people I've met. When I think of Bill Cosby I think of I Spy.

Back