Paul just hooked me

It’s pretty. But if I could spend that much on a guitar I’d have Doug build me a hollow Starliner.

Too low compared to other musical instruments.

Compare buying an American Standard (Pro level guitar) to it's comparable pro level flute.
Guitarists get off on the lower end of the market.

This is true, guitarists are spoiled.

But that doesn't mean that guitars are underpriced.

Yes, my first Kauer purchase will be a Banshee as well.

This one haunts me.....
lupigpje8khviqbq1e0v.jpg

This is true, guitarists are spoiled.

But that doesn't mean that guitars are underpriced.
True on both counts.

A girl that boards a horse with us is a professional bassoon player. Her instrument cost $35,000. This is pretty typical.

As for guitar prices, some are certainly inflated by factors aside from materials and labor (often by good will). HIAR is correct, in that the market dictates the price. I don't think that Paul is having a hard time selling guitars, and Gibson doesn't seem to be hurting either. I've owned several small-shop guitars, each priced competitively with Gibson and PRS offerings, and there's a lot of great stuff to be found in that market. Like anything else, it just comes down to what you like and how much you're able to spend, and then trying to find the best value (for you) in that group.

True on both counts.

A girl that boards a horse with us is a professional bassoon player. Her instrument cost $35,000. This is pretty typical.

As for guitar prices, some are certainly inflated by factors aside from materials and labor (often by good will). HIAR is correct, in that the market dictates the price. I don't think that Paul is having a hard time selling guitars, and Gibson doesn't seem to be hurting either. I've owned several small-shop guitars, each priced competitively with Gibson and PRS offerings, and there's a lot of great stuff to be found in that market. Like anything else, it just comes down to what you like and how much you're able to spend, and then trying to find the best value (for you) in that group.

Yeah, but you're paying for... Aesthetics and psychology, really.

Where solidbodies are concerned, it's not hard to find an instrument that is absolutely professional level for under $1000. And if you spend an extra $2000, then you can have a superb one. Then the law of diminishing returns kicks in very very steeply.

Like you say, that's not the case for orchestral instruments. A saxophone that's comparable to a $2000 solidbody would sell for 5 digits. Furthermore, you can't get by with budget instrument if you're playing professionally. It's audible.

Where solidbodies are concerned, it's not hard to find an instrument that is absolutely professional level for under $1000.
Absolutely.

And I think that's a good distinction (solidbodies), as acoustic guitars are a totally different animal with regard to the price/quality debate.

Where solidbodies are concerned, it's not hard to find an instrument that is absolutely professional level for under $1000. And if you spend an extra $2000, then you can have a superb one. Then the law of diminishing returns kicks in very very steeply.

Like you say, that's not the case for orchestral instruments. A saxophone that's comparable to a $2000 solidbody would sell for 5 digits. Furthermore, you can't get by with budget instrument if you're playing professionally. It's audible.

what's the best ligature for devastating minor 3rds?

this is not at all logical. flute pricing and guitar pricing are not connected to each other. one does not influence the other.

if you want to say that guitarists' instruments are more affordable, i'd argue that. that bassoon is a one of a kind instrument; literally hand made. even doug gets mass produced parts and assembles (as does the Fender Custom Shop). Sorry about the no caps, I had an impossibly adorable cat monopolizing one hand. A better comparison would be to a 'nice' but mass-produced instrument.

Two relatives of mine are/were brass players good enough to sit in orchestras; their instruments were $1,000-$3,000 (trumpet and french horn). That seems more in line.

Back