Paul just hooked me

I'm just completely over the pricing that PRS and Gibson have reached. I'm sorry but there isn't a production line guitar that the guy next to you can get an exact duplicate of that is worth FOUR THOUSAND or more dollars. That is custom, hand made, one-off pricing. You used to be able to get a VERY high quality PRS custom for $2500.... and now that might get you into a bolt neck with 3 available colors.... or you can save a couple bucks and get an S2 line.

I know, it's probably an old-man-shouting-at-clouds moment... but fuck. come on. If we want to go way back, when I was a kid, all the good guitars were not affordable. You had to settle for Japanese junk imports or pawn shop prizes. Over the years the import quality has come up to the point where they're VERY usable guitars, but the affordable American made guitar kinda came and went in a flash.

I'm trying really hard to have the overwhelming majority of my gutiars, pedals, and amp be American made but it's getting spendy. That said, I'll buy a Kauer before I ever buy another new PRS again... who woulda thunk a custom builder would end up being more affordable than a big factory with a few hundred employees. :shrug:

I just have to echo Baimun's post. Guitar prices haven't kept up with inflation - they've leapt past it like kangaroos on meth. You could toss boutique pedals on that pile, too.

It's not 'expensive,' it's 'fucking ridiculous.'

A guitar is worth what it sells for. If PRS & Gibson charge $4000 and people still buy them, then that's what they're worth. There's now 60+ years of used guitars out there. If you don't want to buy a new one, I'm sure you can find a used one that fits your budget.

I'm just completely over the pricing that PRS and Gibson have reached. I'm sorry but there isn't a production line guitar that the guy next to you can get an exact duplicate of that is worth FOUR THOUSAND or more dollars. That is custom, hand made, one-off pricing. You used to be able to get a VERY high quality PRS custom for $2500.... and now that might get you into a bolt neck with 3 available colors.... or you can save a couple bucks and get an S2 line.

I know, it's probably an old-man-shouting-at-clouds moment... but fuck. come on. If we want to go way back, when I was a kid, all the good guitars were not affordable. You had to settle for Japanese junk imports or pawn shop prizes. Over the years the import quality has come up to the point where they're VERY usable guitars, but the affordable American made guitar kinda came and went in a flash.

I'm trying really hard to have the overwhelming majority of my gutiars, pedals, and amp be American made but it's getting spendy. That said, I'll buy a Kauer before I ever buy another new PRS again... who woulda thunk a custom builder would end up being more affordable than a big factory with a few hundred employees. :shrug:

It comes down to a few simple things.
USA labor costs are higher than other countries. I accept that when I buy american.
Quality woods cost and they are getting scarcer. I get that.
Name recognition factors in also. You pay for that.

To answer your question, depending on the builder, yes. Though I think apples to apples the Daylighter Standard and the PRS are comparably priced.

You can like both builders.

Either way, American guitar manufacturers are still pricing themselves too low in relation to adjusted prices from when they 1st hit the scene.

Even though most HB equipped LP layout guitars elicit yawns from me and I've never been excited by PRS guitars, I've always found their McCarty iterations to be quite appealing. This one as well.

According to Paul, the vintage LPs were closer to 24.5, but I have no idea if that's actually true.

It is. I researched it pretty extensively when I first started building guitars. I measured several vintage Gibsons and they were different. They must have done something different for measuring and cutting the frets back then or different models had different scale lengths but the first LP copy I built was 24 and 9/16.

Back