Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
Screen Shot 2014-08-18 at 5.26.38 PM.png

My first rejection notice!

#pandora

#pandorahatesme

#suckit

You know, I was saying the other day that I miss listening to Pandora.

I have just changed my mind.

They can go fuck themselves.

I didn't even bother submitting to Pandora. I don't know how the blues stations work, but the alternative country stations pretty much rotate the same 5-6 artists I haven't heard of, along with the giants of the genre. The registration fee was pretty high, and they don't really push a listener towards the album anyway. I'd love to see the math on recouping the fee through royalties--I bet you'd need plays into the billions to break even.

I didn't even bother submitting to Pandora. I don't know how the blues stations work, but the alternative country stations pretty much rotate the same 5-6 artists I haven't heard of, along with the giants of the genre. The registration fee was pretty high, and they don't really push a listener towards the album anyway. I'd love to see the math on recouping the fee through royalties--I bet you'd need plays into the billions to break even.
I didn't know there was a fee. Maybe thats why they rejected me. Next CD goes in with a crisp $100 bill and some blow.

I didn't know there was a fee. Maybe thats why they rejected me. Next CD goes in with a crisp $100 bill and some blow.
Last time I looked was over a year ago, when I was doing a push on our last album. Thinking about it, it might be that Pandora has a series of requirements to be considered for placement, and it would have cost us about $100 to get "up to code", even if that was an upgrade at some other vendor, and didn't go directly to Pandora.

Last time I looked was over a year ago, when I was doing a push on our last album. Thinking about it, it might be that Pandora has a series of requirements to be considered for placement, and it would have cost us about $100 to get "up to code", even if that was an upgrade at some other vendor, and didn't go directly to Pandora.
That seems like too much trouble and expense for enough annual royalties to get myself a personal pan pizza.

So your Cd was too good for them to air?? I can see that.....
To be honest I can't get either of the local blues DJ's here (Gary "Wagman" Wagner on KJazz or Art Martell) to play my album either. I'm not blues enough apparently.

To be honest I can't get either of the local blues DJ's here (Gary "Wagman" Wagner on KJazz or Art Martell) to play my album either. I'm not blues enough apparently.

I don't get that. There was something of just about every blues style on the CD and enough variety to please most any blues listener. Not to mention that all the playing and the production are stellar.

I don't get that. There was something of just about every blues style on the CD and enough variety to please most any blues listener. Not to mention that all the playing and the production are stellar.
From what I can tell by listening to Sirius blue radio its either about trying to recreate the past or playing rock versions of blues songs. I'm not enough in either camp to win.

Sorry to hear the news Mark, but rejection by a mainstream music machine says nothing about your real worth as a musician.

BTW, this reminds me that I still need to get your album/CD/mp3 download. Sources?

I have trouble on a couple of local stations that have folk/Americana shows. They didn't play my older folkie stuff or my newer singer/songwriter stuff. Oh well.

I have a TV taping for the Worcester Cable Channel's performance show on September 15, and a live radio appearance in Northampton on the day after Thanksgiving. I'll just focus on the places that do appreciate me. :wink:

I agree with Stratguy (as usual); the fact that you don't fit the mainstream music machine tells me you are doing something right. Screw them and their narrow-minded genre boxes.

Back