p90's are fun.

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
11024623_10153182001952425_7949627768831864454_n.jpg

:)

I'm not sure why, but I played a Jazzmaster with P90's, and I wasn't really impressed. I have to say that it was the first time I had ever heard P90's, so maybe I didn't have the amp set right for those pickups, or something. I was really expecting something awesome, becasue people really seem to like them. I don't know if it was the guitar, the amp, or me.

I didn't care for P90s for the longest time. I wanted to. I even got a few different guitars with them because I loved the guitars otherwise and thought the pickups would grow on me. But the third time was the charm because I really love them on my JTV-59P Variax.

I'd post a pic of my P90 beauty, but it's a spit n balsawood model. idn_smilie

I'm not sure why, but I played a Jazzmaster with P90's, and I wasn't really impressed. I have to say that it was the first time I had ever heard P90's, so maybe I didn't have the amp set right for those pickups, or something. I was really expecting something awesome, becasue people really seem to like them. I don't know if it was the guitar, the amp, or me.

Jazzmaster pickups aren't P90s.

The P90's that Reverend makes are so good, I can't imagine replacing them. Maybe a set from Lindy Fralin might sound nice, but I can't justify the expenditure.

5790418588_fd64dd3a9b_b.jpg

My Edwards has Duncan P90s. I like the sound of that guitar white a bit.

This pic was the day I got it back in 2007. It still had the Seymour Duncan stickers on the pickups. Those are long gone. :embarrassed:

FrontFull.jpg

If there's an outlet to plug in an amp on that deck, a barbecue, and trout in the lake, I would never leave.
That is my Mom's former house. Yes there was an outlet. The barbecue was up on the other deck near the kitchen, and no trout in the bay. But the salmon runs are starting to come back! She no longer owns that place, but moved into a nice waterfront condo in Gig Harbor, looking out on a busier bay.

b2f5171d2949a4722a84832e5e3d15a8.jpg

But back to the P90, it was wound by Bryan Gunsher, and is really nice on its own, but also is the shizzle when combined with the bite and spank of that tele bridge pup he also wound.

Last edited:
P90s are great. So much so, that after I paid for the dental work that I'm having done next week, I put this on layaway:

LPJR15VSSN1_front.jpg

I hope to bring it home by the middle of next month. I have a soft spot for P90s, having had several Les Pauls over the years, that had them.

I just put down a solo for our upcoming album using my PSGer's old Gibson hollow body w/ P90s. It was my first time using them, and they sound great--throaty, dirty, everything you want.

Back